A problem I have never had before@!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a M Robustum that got injured. The bleeding in that leg was stopped..... that leg is crippled... but she did not cast it. And now 5 weeks later the leg is molding but still attached...... any ideas on course of action?

I am working on getting a picture to attach I have it already but for some reason I cant get it to post right now the attachment thing wont even open for me.

Just to give to a slight idea its not a small spot of mold....... its big blooms of it. :8o

Dustin

Arachnopeon
not sure when and how to do this but i have heard of people acually pulling it off for them it sounds cruel and im not sure how safe it is but thats all i can think of

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long has the leg been this way? They will usually cast it off themselves if it's being a problem. Have you tried putting substrate or some other something on the wound to help as a clotting agent?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mould is a serious problem. show a pic so we can be sure, but if the bad leg actually has mould, it could spread to healthy tissue. in such a case i would help the t cast it of. just grab it firmly with pincers below the (first?) joint and loosen it. and keep liquid bandages or nail polish or something ready in case it bleeds.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
talkenlate04 - Do a search on "coxa". That will most likely bring you results that'll discuss your options of pulling off the leg the right way. I'm unsure at the moment of how it's done the right way and I've never needed to do it so better rely on someone else who sounds more experienced with it. Anyway, pulling is what I'd do in this situation and based on your description. Good luck!

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you have a copy of the T Keepers Guide handy? There is a section in there about T's casting legs and how to do it yourself if needed. I'm at work or I would post what it says for you. best of luck with this one.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a M Robustum that got injured. The bleeding in that leg was stopped..... that leg is crippled... but she did not cast it. And now 5 weeks later the leg is molding but still attached...... any ideas on course of action?

I am working on getting a picture to attach I have it already but for some reason I cant get it to post right now the attachment thing wont even open for me.

Just to give to a slight idea its not a small spot of mold....... its big blooms of it. :8o
Mold, huh....thats bizarre, being a M. robustum owner myself, I'm sorry to hear that. Why not just snip it off with some small sharp scissors, and use some glue to plug the hole? Being new to this hobby, thats just what i've gathered from all the posts i've read on here, gluing holes and the like shut seems to be an appropriate fix. I would use elmers glue tho, so not to expose your pet to anything toxic. Just my opinion...

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had the same problem with a l. parahybana. get some sharp scissors (like barbers scissors. and snip it off at the joint above the injury. put some Krazy Glue on the would to clot it and seal it. and youre done.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there it is...... bad pic but you can see the white mold running crazy on that crippled leg.

Attachments

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I figured cut........ I think I know where to cut...... this is going to be interesting I have never had to do something like this.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well think of it this way... the T will die without intervention, so you really have nothing to loose, but potentially lots to gain

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Use suture scissors, or if you don't have those, a small pair of the plier style dog/cat nail trimmers. These have a round cutting jaw and lightly crush as they cut, which will help w/ wound closure.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Once all that's done, it might be worth just getting a cotton bud with some ethanol, or isopropanol, and wiping down the last little bit of stump.