A Poke in the Eye(s)

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Have you ever looked into the eyes of a P. regalis? Chalk it up to imagination if you will, but I get an overwhelming impression of intelligence and awareness from these beautiful spiders!

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
A close up of the distinctive freckling on the legs.

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
And here's the whole spider in all its glory :)

Joy

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Exellent pictures Joy!!! Did you make liberal use of the macro on your coolpix or did you take a large picture and crop those sections out. I bought the coolpix 5000 and pictures just don't seem to be coming out good for me for the most part :(

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm speechless Joy! You are the master of all the reputed-to-be-aggressive-but-merely-misunderstood species! (and the digicam too!) :)

Atrax

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Exellent pictures Joy!!! Did you make liberal use of the macro on your coolpix or did you take a large picture and crop those sections out. I bought the coolpix 5000 and pictures just don't seem to be coming out good for me for the most part :(

Scott
Scott, it's the macro function. I chose the Coolpix initially because it had the best macro in addition to the other features I wanted, and I have been very pleased with it. I'm surprised to hear the 5000 isn't living up to your expectations! I am green with envy of you people who have the professional line, and I've admired your pictures very much. I seem to remember Rick West's camera is one of the professional models, too, although he said he used to have a Coolpix--a 990, I think.

Frankly, I think I could probably do even more with my camera if I ever got around to reading the whole (novel-sized) instruction book!

Theraposa, I wouldn't consider myself brave, but rather privileged! I wouldn't undertake to handle any tarantula unless it gave me clear signs it didn't resent such a liberty. I am fortunate in possessing the specimen in the picture, who is not only beautiful but astoundingly calm, tolerant, and responsive.

Yes, Mebebraz, that's my hand. Unless, of course, you believe CM's theory about my having a set of fake hands for photographic purposes! =D

Joy

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow!! Incredible photos Joy! I agree with you on the intelligence. Reminds me of jumping spiders.

Alex S.

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Joy:

Which of its 'up to eight' eyes did you peer into? I'll agree with everyone else, you have some excellent pictures - extremely vivid from this end. Did you raise your Poke from a spiderling? I've seen others handle this very agressive species - as well as handle Haplopelma lividum. It seems that in most instances - these 'more agressive' species are NOT handled much and therefore too nerve-wrecked to allow someone to pick 'em up when the time comes, or doesn't come. The reason I asked about how long you've had this beautiful tarantula is that long-time captives, as you know, are much more tolerant and receptive - naturally. Some of the Old World and other baboon types stay too wild to ever befriend them, regardless of how long you've had them. Then again even more docile spiders have their days. Nonetheless,I've always liked to see a keeper holding a tarantula that is generally known as a 'you-just-don't-hold-that-kind' of a spider.:)
Great pictures. Incidentally, there's a collewction of tarantula 'eyes' pictures on the ATS site if you're interested.

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
OMG !!! Those are such AWSOME pictures joy, especially the eye balls and the Ornimental. GORGEOUS !!!!:cool:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes and as impressive as Joy's pics are, I'll be the bad guy again and interject the disclaimer that I firmly believe must ALWAYS accompany pics of holding Poecilotheria -- THEIR VENOM IS DANGEROUS. If juveniles can put people in the hospital with nausea, vomiting, dizziness and respiratory problems, a good envenomation could easily kill a healthy adult.

Just keep that in mind. We're not talking about individual choice, we're talking about the life of the spider and the potential impact that the first recorded tarantula death could have on the hobby in general. Our country is legislation-happy enough as it is, with the regulating of pet animals. I'd hate to see a tragedy and the resulting legal aftermath.

I know, wet blanket... But I really think it needs saying. Not judging, just pointing it out.

b

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I just bought a book about spiders and it said that my little pink toe, avic avic is "poisonous" and must be handled w/extreme caution. It even had a skull and cross bones next to her picture (as did the black widow) . Now is it just me or is this TOTALLY inaccurate ???

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
I just bought a book about spiders and it said that my little pink toe, avic avic is "poisonous" and must be handled w/extreme caution. It even had a skull and cross bones next to her picture (as did the black widow) . Now is it just me or is this TOTALLY inaccurate ???
Sort of depends on what you define as accurate. Although they can be used interchangeably, most of the tarantula nuts out there make a distinction between poisonous and venomous. If you went with that definition, then no tarantula or spider is poisonous. I'm coming to the opinion this is more of an online convention than a well established convention, though (e.g. Foelix's The Biology of Spiders uses 'poisonous' for describing spider venom).

If you go with that way of looking at it, technically (with the exception of a handful of spiders that lack any venom) all spiders are venomous/poisonous.

But, what your average schmoe would call venomous/poisonous is a spider that was medically significant. If you use that definition, a avic is about as medically significant as a honeybee, and probably less so.

Hmm... I guess no matter how we choose to look at it your book is full of crap ;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
THEIR VENOM IS DANGEROUS. If juveniles can put people in the hospital with nausea, vomiting, dizziness and respiratory problems, a good envenomation could easily kill a healthy adult.

An adult what? ;)

Although this statement may turn out to be true, at present it's speculation based on anecdotal evidence. There still hasn't been a recorded human death resulting from the bite if this or any other tarantula. I'm not saying that it's not possible or that it won't happen, but there just isn't any data to support this statement. All we know is that some who've been bitten have reported some very severe effects. Grounds for advising caution when working with this species? Certainly, but I don't think misleading statements are going to help. Until somebody actually does the research, we probably won't have a definitive answer. The fact that nobody has bothered to do any research on the dangers of tarantula venom suggests that there hasn't been a need percieved (there has been research into possible usages of the venom, however). Now that keeping these animals is increasingly popular, perhaps the need will arise. Compare this with scorpions, where there has been a lot of research into venoms and we KNOW that certain species can kill. Even then it's generally infants, the ederly, or the already very ill who succumb, not "healthy adults".

Once again, I'm not saying it's not good to warn of potential danger, I'm just suggesting we keep it within the realm of fact.

Wade

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Thanks code, thats what I thought to. It just seemed wrong in a few other places too. Besides, I know Tiny would never bite me. SHes a sweety ! :D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joy,
Wow! Nice pics! That t is gorgeous!

Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Impressive as usual Joy. You're a woman with more balls than me, that's for sure.

Bill