A Newbie with Questions and not afraid to ask them.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have purchased a few Tarantulas from Swift Inverts and I was wondering if there was anyone who could give me a few ideas on a more Species Specific care regimen. The breeds I'm about to get are as follws:

Brazilian Red and White (Lasiodora cristatus)
Cinnamon Pinktoe (Avicularia aurantiaca)
Costa Rican Tiger Rump (Cyclosternum fasciatum)
Flagstaff Orange (Aphonopelma sp.)

Any help is greatly apprecuiated. :D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi..

I have a cinnamon avic. from Swifty. It is one of my more active slings. It is about one inch and is constantly moving about the container..eats well. I have been feeding pinhead crickets, small waxworms and fruit flies. I attached corkbark to the top corner of the container, and it has made itself a webbed up area between two pieces of the cork. I have airholes melted in the container on all four sides and the top for good ventilation and maintain a good humidity in there. I am new at keeping but I think that they need the same kind of set up as other arboreals .

Attachments

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the insight about the Cinnamon Pinktoe. I kind of figured they would be similar to the standard Pinktoe (Avicularia avicularia). I own a Chilean Rosehair and a Pinktoe already. I'm still trying to dig up info on those Tarantula species as well. I guess I'm that close to being obessed. Oh and your Cinnamon Pinktoe is a beauty. I can't wait to get mine. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
There doesn't seem to be enough care sheets out there... HINT HINT!

But I ALWAYS suggest buying one of these two books: "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Samuel D. Marshall and "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz. I have had Ts for 12 years now and I don't know how I got by without reading the second book. I'm on my second reading now and STILL picking up bits of information. But the biggest tip of all I learn everywhere I go;

There is more that we DON'T know about Ts than what we DO know!

You're in the right place, these guys know their stuff and a great at sharing it!!!!=D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by terridumonte
There doesn't seem to be enough care sheets out there... HINT HINT!

But I ALWAYS suggest buying one of these two books: "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Samuel D. Marshall and "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz. I have had Ts for 12 years now and I don't know how I got by without reading the second book. I'm on my second reading now and STILL picking up bits of information. But the biggest tip of all I learn everywhere I go;

There is more that we DON'T know about Ts than what we DO know!

You're in the right place, these guys know their stuff and a great at sharing it!!!!=D
I had heard that the Schultzes' book was the best book to buy concerning Tarantula information. I'm going to call and see whether my petstore has it. If not I'll just order it online.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
I had heard that the Schultzes' book was the best book to buy concerning Tarantula information. I'm going to call and see whether my petstore has it. If not I'll just order it online.
You can find a link easily here on the links page under "books", if all else fails. ;)

Debby

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome and congrates on your new babies.
And it's Good your asking questions.
It's How we All learn.
Never think one is "stupid" or a "waste of time"
All questions are good questions.

I Don't have any of Those species.

I do want to pick up a L.cristatus one day.

I know there are many here that Can help you though.
Good luck, and peek us posted on how you and they are doing.

:)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the warm welcome. :D Since my Thread title is a little ambiguous I think I'll ask a question of anyone who has raised Pinktoes (Avicularia aviculari) or knows anything about them since I'm a rank novice at this molting buisness. Most of the arachnids I had purchased were by then already adults so I've been cheated out of this major growth pattern with all invertebrate species. My Pinktoe 's rump has started to become quite deep pinkish, almost salmon in color. The best way I can describe it's overall appearance is that it looks like a shaved Kiwi fruit with still a little bit of fuzz on it and a few smooth parts. She seems to be eating albeit not all at once and only consuming the crickets I've given it over a span of time. She's also not really crawling around the tank that much, preferring to just hang out on the wall near her waterdish. Could this actually be a countdown to molting? Or is my Pinktoe just getting unusually fat? I wish I could attach a picture of her but I don't have a Digital Camera and my Webcam just will not work on the ancient stone age PC I'm using.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our two A. Huriana are both adults.

Our A. versicolor though we have had since she was a wee lil splot of blue and has moulted three times since we got her.

I don't know about Avic molt patterns,, because our flipping T's have a habbit of Totaly ignoring the rules and regs of moulting.

I keep telling them to reread their handbooks but they love to make me go " Erk?".

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like a pre-molt to me, as the molting time draws near the spiderling will cease eating!! Then just keep the humidity up and wait about a week after the molt to offer food again. Congratulations on getting in the hobby, it's addicting!! The Aphonopelma you can keep like all other Aphonopelma's, the Cyclosternum enjoys a little more humidity than the Aphonopelma and a little more substrate so it can burrow.

Andy:D

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
vulpina, that's what I mean about our T's ignoring the rules.
All three times our versicolor has moulted it's been within two hours after a meal with no prewarning whatso ever.

Twice she did it sitting at a vertical angle and just roll/flipped out of her skin.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Godzilla,
7/8's of my collection has been purchased from Kelly Swift. Of the ones you mentioned, I have a C. fasciatum. Absolutely stunning, especially after a molt. Even as fairly young juvies (once the color comes in), you can hold them up to a bright light, and be dazzled. The carapace is a bright, metallic orange.
Mine is a virtual weed. Easy to care for, voracious appetite. Not a handler, as mine is a bit too spazzy. Not mean, though. They stay fairly small.
Peace,
Gillian
p.s., I have yet to see ANY picture really capture the beauty of these babies.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by vulpina
Sounds like a pre-molt to me, as the molting time draws near the spiderling will cease eating!! Then just keep the humidity up and wait about a week after the molt to offer food again. Congratulations on getting in the hobby, it's addicting!! The Aphonopelma you can keep like all other Aphonopelma's, the Cyclosternum enjoys a little more humidity than the Aphonopelma and a little more substrate so it can burrow.

Andy:D
I think I lke to illustrate my getting into this hobby as diving head first into the deep end of the pool. I just want to submerge myself in all things Arachnid. I'm finding they are much quieter, cheaper and not as smelly (Well except for those crickets.) as my mammalian pets such as my Rats and Guinea Pig.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Godzilla,
7/8's of my collection has been purchased from Kelly Swift. Of the ones you mentioned, I have a C. fasciatum. Absolutely stunning, especially after a molt. Even as fairly young juvies (once the color comes in), you can hold them up to a bright light, and be dazzled. The carapace is a bright, metallic orange.
Mine is a virtual weed. Easy to care for, voracious appetite. Not a handler, as mine is a bit too spazzy. Not mean, though. They stay fairly small.
Peace,
Gillian
p.s., I have yet to see ANY picture really capture the beauty of these babies.
I was originally going to get a Greenbottle Blue until I spotted the Tigerrump and I told myself I just had to get it. I just wonder what my freebie from Swift Inverts will be.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know this is going to sound a little funny but after nearly two weeks pf posessing my Tarantulas I have finally decided on what to name them. My G. rosea I have dubbed Fuzzy. Amd my Pinktoe I have named Pandora. Now watch the Pinktoe turn out to be a male. That would be just my luck after obsessing over their names. :?