a newbie with a question...

foreverbug

Arachnopeon
I have been spidersitting for a friend, and have decided to get a tarantula of my own. What do you recommend?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my opinion, the best beginner tarantula possible without cost being a factor: Brazilian Black (Grammostola pulchra) with not a single documented case of it ever biting anyone and it is a beautiful jet velvety black. It is also very hardy and forgiving for the beginner.

If cost is a big factor, you cannot go wrong with a Chilean Rose (Grammostola rosea) as they are hardy and extremely inexpensive, but common.

Other spiders that make great starters:

Anything from the Brachypelma genus
Anything from the Grammostola genus
Most Aphnopelmas such as seemanni and chalcodes being hardy but perhaps not the best hand pets.

and last but not least the Pink zebra beauty (Eupalastrus campestratus) is a good looking, docile, and hardy tarantula.

Mark

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey,
There are many great starter "beginner" tarantulas out there! I would reccomend the following:

Curlyhair Brachypelma albopilosum
Bulky 6" spider, a New World specie that can flick hairs. They can be skittish IME with sling (babies). A brown/chocolate coloration, not the most beautiful tarantula ever, but gotta love'em! Easily available for cheap prices.

Pinktoe Avicularia avicularia
A skittish specie, reaches 5.5" or smaller. They are a nice blueish/greenish coloring, a new world specie that doesnt flick hairs. The are arboreal and need room to climb, easily offered and available for good prices.

Chilean Rosehair Grammastola rosea
A pink, and most popular "beginner" tarantula in the pet trade, also easily available for good cheap prices. Nice coloration as adults. two different forms or color morphs a regular brown/pinkish morph and a red morph.

I hope this helps, and these are the first three species i would reccomend!

James

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
well if ur just a newb then I would go with a Chilean Rose just because they are usually pretty docile but from what I have read on the board there are exceptions to this. But it is prob ur best bet and they are pretty tough. and they arent very likely to run up the side of the tank and out. The Avicularia family is pretty good too. But i wouldnt go with anything aggressive quite yet. But its totally up to u. All Tarantulas have their own coolness but for ur first I would recommend the rose. Then once you are comfortable take a step up. Thats what I did... I went from a Rose to an A.Avic to a P.Irminia (Suntiger) which is somewhat aggressive and very speedy and now I am getting a H.Maculata (Togo Starburst) Which I hear is rather aggressive also. And I think soon after that I am getting an A.Geniculata hopefully... anyways goo dluck chosing there is alot of nice T's to chose form

TheDOn

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a Chile rose. (G rosea)
I was lucky to get a Red Colour Phase (far prettier IMO) and she's been a great pet.

One thing I will say about them is that they are known for their peculiar eating habits - they think nothing of fasting for months on end, which I know is very worrying when you're new to the hobby.

That's why I'd reccomend a Curly hair (B albopilosum)
They have very similar temperament to Chile rose tarantulas (I've found mine to be a touch more nervy as a juvenile) but they are much "chunkier" tarantulas, and feed very well - it's always comforting and satisfying to find a tarantula that loves its food :)

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd recommend a curly hair or sometimes sold in pet stores as "wooly" tarantula. I think they are pretty spiders(but aren't all tarantulas in one way or another), have a good feeding response, and aren't defensive. My curly, with exception to pre/post-molt ,is out and about digging and in the middle of some kind of earth moving project which I find fun and relaxing to watch.

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think you should get a rosehair at first, It was my first tarantula, and it was kind of confusing, Rosehairs have weird habbits and tend to confuse begginers, I would reccomend a Curly hair, or Pink zerb beauty for a starter. If your looking for areboral then i would go with a pink toe tarantula, I hope this helps.
Mike

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by foreverbug
At what age do you recommend I buy them?
How old are you now? :D Just kidding! A larger subadult or adult may be preferable to a spiderling if you are learning or unsure of your knowledge on care. The smaller(younger) the spider you get will require higher humidity and may pose a problem for you depending on the availability of small prey insects or how squeamish you are about cutting or squishing larger insects to feed a small baby tarantula. If you are confident of being able to keep high humidity ,proper ventilation and adequate food then a smaller/younger spider might be more rewarding to keep because you will get to see it grow and change.

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by invadermike
I don't think you should get a rosehair at first, It was my first tarantula, and it was kind of confusing, Rosehairs have weird habbits and tend to confuse begginers, I would reccomend a Curly hair, or Pink zerb beauty for a starter. If your looking for areboral then i would go with a pink toe tarantula, I hope this helps.
Mike
I agree with this. Even though my collection is small I started with a rosehair and boy did I have misconceptions about Ts after that. My 2nd T was a 1/2" Curly hair, he has been the best experience and eats really well compared to my rosehair.
Erin

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the reason a Chilean rose is so often recommended as a first tarantula is because of its availability, inexpensive price, and its hardiness. It is one of the most "bulletproof" tarantulas available that will survive most errors a newbie will make when starting out. The downside is that they exhibit a wide array of abberant behaviors among individuals that isn't normal across the whole species or among other species of Ts. They go off feeding for weeks or months at a time and sit motionless for extended periods of time. I've seen mine stay in the same spot and position for 3 days or more at a stretch leaving me wondering as a newbie if my spider was dead or dying. They are finicky about walking on moist substrate which goes against what most newbies will read about general tarantula care which usually places great impotance on damp substrate as a means of maintaining humidity andthey will hang on the walls until everything is dry.

foreverbug

Arachnopeon
I have decided to get a curly hair, because they are hardy, and I think they are cute too! I will post pics as soon as I can get a curly hair. :D Thanks !!!!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just to let you know, i am definitely a beginner and have been looking into various Ts. well, today i got a chilean rose hair.

i must say, she is beautiful, extremely docile, and hasn't show the slightest sign of aggression or defensiveness. if frightened so far she's run away. :)

now there were two larger than she in the store also and one did the front-legs-up threat display and the others raised it's abdomen in the air and threatened hairs to make you itch! (grin)

however, both were left alone and calmed shortly...the hair one a bit longer though. lol.

anyway, i am just delighted and beside myself.

i am looking to purchase a curly hair or pink zebra beauty next!

:}

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Spider_Hunter, this newbie took your avatar. Aren't you going to do anything about it? Or do I have to do the chicken sound?

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am surprised that nobody did mention brachypelma vagans (mexican redrump)? its also very cheap and very hardy...maybe slightly more aggresive than the curlyhair (but thats just what I´ve heard, my vagans is very calm), but faster growing and with much bigger feeding response...it doesnt look so attractive on the photos, but thats just because those beautiful velvety shining legs are hard to photograph :)