A. mooreae care

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
A buddy of mine is picking a few of them up soon and will be giving one to me. I've tried to research online and on this board about this species but could not find anything. Does anyone have any insight on how to keep this species? Should they be kept in similar conditions of a particular T in the same genus? The sling will be 1/3".

Any info on the species will be appreciated, such as temperament, feeding response, and growth; I am aware that Aphonopelma species can be very slow growing. his will be my fourth tarantula, my others include a 1.5" Hamorii and Vagans, along with a .5" Klaasi.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
1/3 inch Aphonopelma. :D Prepare yourself for excruciatingly slow growth!

I'd keep in it a vial or the smallest condiment cup you can find. At that size, they can eat things like little red runner roaches or pinhead crickets, but I find that almost all slings under about 1 inch will happily scavenge on chopped up cricket parts, which are easier to come by.

Hydration is more important than food, as tiny slings can get dehydrated easily. Keep part of the substrate moist at all times (just spray 1 side every 2-4 days depending on how quickly it dries out in the room you'll have it in.

Make sure that there are a good number of pinholes for ventilation, but nothing large enough that the sling's carapace could squeeze through. If you have one that small escape, it's nearly impossible to ever find again.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
What a friend to give away such a rare and expensive species! I had to pay for my three! Aphonopelma mooreae is a skittish species so make sure you keep your eye on them when feeding or watering. They will run out of their container if you are not careful. They are also burrowers so give them a container that is a bit larger than you would normally give a tiny spiderling. They will feed on newborn lateralis roaches or crickets, but I like to feed them pieces of mealworm since it is hard to predict when they will molt. They are aggressive feeders, but since they are so skittish, it takes them a while to settle down enough after opening and closing their containers to attack their prey. As expected for an Aphonopelma species from the Sonoran desert, their metabolism is extremely slow and they don't need to be fed too often. I got my three last summer (2019) and only one of them has molted since then.

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
What a friend to give away such a rare and expensive species! I had to pay for my three! Aphonopelma mooreae is a skittish species so make sure you keep your eye on them when feeding or watering. They will run out of their container if you are not careful. They are also burrowers so give them a container that is a bit larger than you would normally give a tiny spiderling. They will feed on newborn lateralis roaches or crickets, but I like to feed them pieces of mealworm since it is hard to predict when they will molt. They are aggressive feeders, but since they are so skittish, it takes them a while to settle down enough after opening and closing their containers to attack their prey. As expected for an Aphonopelma species from the Sonoran desert, their metabolism is extremely slow and they don't need to be fed too often. I got my three last summer (2019) and only one of them has molted since then.
I’ll actually have to pay for it haha, not free. Would an 8 oz deli cup be good enough? I plan to feed it mealworms as that’s what I feed my other 3. Do you have pictures of how you have yours set up? I’m extremely excited to be raising such a rare species! :D

So from what I’ve gathered, I can just raise it like the rest of my Brachypelma slings? No special humidity requirements or anything like that? What about adult care?

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Oboy! A mooreae! Mine has molted once in the last 12 months and lives under a piece of bark. I’ve checked on it twice to see if it was okay. It is maybe a half inch (maybe?) and has looked like this for six months or so. Other people I know who got one from this sac have reported that theirs are nearing 1” though.

Someday, we’ll all have beautiful spiders XD

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So basically a GBB with a slow metabolism.
Good info, I’ve been tempted but the glacial growth rate has kept me away. Then again I own a Pseudhap. member so who knows maybe I’ll cave .

cold blood

Staff member
Literally...care for ALL nw terrestrial slings is 100% identical. Slightly damp substrate, or a damp area.

I would house it in a 2oz condiment cup....larger than that and you may not see it and it will grow slower than an arctic glacier....they grow slow enough, no need to slow it further.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I would house it in a 2oz condiment cup....larger than that and you may not see it and it will grow slower than an arctic glacier....they grow slow enough, no need to slow it further.
No, I want it to be a speck forever. Or at least until I can afford to buy a proper house in 5-7 years.

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
Got the little guy today, here he is! He is incredibly tiny, even smaller then my .5” Klaasi. I actually just had a scare while unpacking him as he’s really fast and ended up disappearing behind the water dish, but I could not find him for about 5 minutes haha.
204CE6DA-BE8A-4EEB-9CF5-325DB2F1828B.jpeg
As you can see, he is really, really small. I read the prior comments about housing then in something larger than normal, and went ahead and housed him in a 5 1/2 oz deli cup.

is that OK?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Got the little guy today, here he is! He is incredibly tiny, even smaller then my .5” Klaasi. I actually just had a scare while unpacking him as he’s really fast and ended up disappearing behind the water dish, but I could not find him for about 5 minutes haha.

As you can see, he is really, really small. I read the prior comments about housing then in something larger than normal, and went ahead and housed him in a 5 1/2 oz deli cup.

is that OK?
That looks a little too big for a spiderling of that size, but it might work ok since it will eventually settle and burrow to the bottom. I would just remove that bottle cap since it really isn't of any use. I think mine came bigger so I was able to use a 4 fluid ounce condiment containers I picked up from my neighborhood Chipotle restaurant. Here are a couple of pictures of how I am housing mine. The baby spiders are not visible in these shots since it is hiding at the bottom of the substrate.

Did your A. mooreae come from the 2018 import from Mexico?

Attachments

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
That looks a little too big for a spiderling of that size, but it might work ok since it will eventually settle and burrow to the bottom. I would just remove that bottle cap since it really isn't of any use. I think mine came bigger so I was able to use a 4 fluid ounce condiment containers I picked up from my neighborhood Chipotle restaurant. Here are a couple of pictures of how I am housing mine. The baby spiders are not visible in these shots since it is hiding at the bottom of the substrate.

Did your A. mooreae come from the 2018 import from Mexico?
I am not completely sure on its background. My friend ordered them from netbug and I’ve emailed them to inquire about their history.

As for the bottle cap, it’s being used as a water dish. Should I remove it? I will leave the sling inside this enclosure for some time to see how it feeds, but if it ends up burrowing as you stated then it may become an issue, no?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I am not completely sure on its background. My friend ordered them from netbug and I’ve emailed them to inquire about their history.

As for the bottle cap, it’s being used as a water dish. Should I remove it? I will leave the sling inside this enclosure for some time to see how it feeds, but if it ends up burrowing as you stated then it may become an issue, no?
Knowing the history would be important since this species has never been in the USA before. All too often when a species first appears in the pet hobby, those who buy them don't think to ask and then they change hands so many times the original source is lost. Who knows if A. mooreae will be exported from Mexico again. If we all keep track of where our spiderlings come from, then in 10 years when they become adults, we will know which stock is being inbred to produce more captive bred spiderlings. Kind of like when the first import of Australian tarantulas took place some years ago. When you see captive bred spiderlings of an Australian species outside of Australia, you know those spiderlings were inbred since a legal export was only done once.

I don't know who is behind 'Netbug', but my understanding is that there has been only one export of A. mooreae back in 2018 in which only two dealers received the spiderlings; 'Netbug' wasn't one of them. Also, your A. mooreae spiderling is smaller than the three I received last year so I am curious to know if there was another more recent import or if 'Netbug' got them from one of the two dealers who received the first import.

As for your questions. Yes, remove that bottle cap. Spiderlings don't need a water dish and can drink from the substrate, from water droplets on the side of the enclosure, or from water drops that pool up in the bottom of the burrow if it makes one. I water all of my spiderlings by using a plastic pipette to drip water into the substrate and along the sides of enclosure. Since my A. mooreae burrow, I put a drop of water down the burrow too. It's best not to overthink the watering situation. A tarantula of any size or species can deal with a slight temporary flooding a lot better than it can handle conditions that are too dry.

As for food, if your's make a burrow, it will smell and find the piece of mealworm you put in the container and feed at will. Since I let my spiderlings burrow, I try to stay away from using pinhead crickets or roaches since they like to use the baby spider's burrow to hide too. That makes for a dangerous situation since you can't tell when a tiny tarantula will be molting to get the tiny prey item out of the enclosure.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree, a water bowl for a sling that size is completely unneeded and impractical, and although VERY unlikely, there is the tiny possibility it burrows under it and the dish collapses onto the sling and squishes it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
View attachment 335368

is that OK?
There are no need for a waterdish when housing slings IMO. Just slightly spray water on the sub and sides of the enclosure 2 times a week. Slings can drink waterdrops and from the substrate. You only risk to spill water from the dish when you suddenly move the enclosure, risking in saturating the substrate, or that the sling gets hit by the dish. Its much more simplier to just spray the enclosure than keeping and filling tiny dishes

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Afaik a new shipment of A mooreae was scheduled to come in. I know at least one of the vendors who was coordinating it, but when I asked if the new shipment was part of the same sac, I was told that it’s the same female.

Not sure if this part of the new sac but my guess is that it is.

cold blood

Staff member
Op, i would put that little sling into a 1 oz condiment cup....smaller the housing the better IME.

Phobiuh

Arachnopeon
Knowing the history would be important since this species has never been in the USA before. All too often when a species first appears in the pet hobby, those who buy them don't think to ask and then they change hands so many times the original source is lost. Who knows if A. mooreae will be exported from Mexico again. If we all keep track of where our spiderlings come from, then in 10 years when they become adults, we will know which stock is being inbred to produce more captive bred spiderlings. Kind of like when the first import of Australian tarantulas took place some years ago. When you see captive bred spiderlings of an Australian species outside of Australia, you know those spiderlings were inbred since a legal export was only done once.

I don't know who is behind 'Netbug', but my understanding is that there has been only one export of A. mooreae back in 2018 in which only two dealers received the spiderlings; 'Netbug' wasn't one of them. Also, your A. mooreae spiderling is smaller than the three I received last year so I am curious to know if there was another more recent import or if 'Netbug' got them from one of the two dealers who received the first import.

As for your questions. Yes, remove that bottle cap. Spiderlings don't need a water dish and can drink from the substrate, from water droplets on the side of the enclosure, or from water drops that pool up in the bottom of the burrow if it makes one. I water all of my spiderlings by using a plastic pipette to drip water into the substrate and along the sides of enclosure. Since my A. mooreae burrow, I put a drop of water down the burrow too. It's best not to overthink the watering situation. A tarantula of any size or species can deal with a slight temporary flooding a lot better than it can handle conditions that are too dry.

As for food, if your's make a burrow, it will smell and find the piece of mealworm you put in the container and feed at will. Since I let my spiderlings burrow, I try to stay away from using pinhead crickets or roaches since they like to use the baby spider's burrow to hide too. That makes for a dangerous situation since you can't tell when a tiny tarantula will be molting to get the tiny prey item out of the enclosure.
NetBug responded to me and informed me that the slings were captive bred in July of 2019, and then imported from Mexico October of 2019. She told me that one out of the three needed to molt before being sent out and the one I received has since ate a bit of the mealworm piece I left in overnight, so I'm assuming it was one of the ones that molted since I'm not sure how food aggressive they are.

I agree, a water bowl for a sling that size is completely unneeded and impractical, and although VERY unlikely, there is the tiny possibility it burrows under it and the dish collapses onto the sling and squishes it.
There are no need for a waterdish when housing slings IMO. Just slightly spray water on the sub and sides of the enclosure 2 times a week. Slings can drink waterdrops and from the substrate. You only risk to spill water from the dish when you suddenly move the enclosure, risking in saturating the substrate, or that the sling gets hit by the dish. Its much more simplier to just spray the enclosure than keeping and filling tiny dishes
I am really considering removing the water dish and just adding light water droplets to a side of the enclosure once it starts to look dry, but I have done a ton of research on this and the consensus seems to be that if a water dish can fit in the enclosure, then one should be used... are you guys positive that it is best if I go ahead and remove it? I really do not want to go and mess something up and cause the sling to die as a result, regardless of the price...
Op, i would put that little sling into a 1 oz condiment cup....smaller the housing the better IME.
I will search for smaller condiment cups and rehouse it then, thank you! Although, another poster who owns the species said it would be fine to house in a slightly larger container, so should I still go on with the rehousing?
Afaik a new shipment of A mooreae was scheduled to come in. I know at least one of the vendors who was coordinating it, but when I asked if the new shipment was part of the same sac, I was told that it’s the same female.

Not sure if this part of the new sac but my guess is that it is.
According to the information above I received from NetBug, you may be correct.
Update, tho: mine just molted. Closer to, but not quite, 1”.

Molting being an annual event at this size is amazing.
Molting being an annual event?! Looks like I'm going to have to learn to be incredibly patient with this one. o_O:lol:

cold blood

Staff member
will search for smaller condiment cups and rehouse it then, thank you! Although, another poster who owns the species said it would be fine to house in a slightly larger container, so should I still go on with the rehousing?
if you want to see it, be able to monitor it and have it eat as reliably as possible...yes, downsize.

Not downsizing wont kill it or harm them, but it will make it more reclusive and it will grow even slower.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I am really considering removing the water dish and just adding light water droplets to a side of the enclosure once it starts to look dry, but I have done a ton of research on this and the consensus seems to be that if a water dish can fit in the enclosure, then one should be used... are you guys positive that it is best if I go ahead and remove it? I really do not want to go and mess something up and cause the sling to die as a result, regardless of the price...

I will search for smaller condiment cups and rehouse it then, thank you! Although, another poster who owns the species said it would be fine to house in a slightly larger container, so should I still go on with the rehousing?
It will ultimately be up to you on who's advice you want to take, but I promise I didn't remove a water dish from the container before taking the picture I posted. My little A. mooreae have been in those 4 fl. oz. cups since last July with no water dish, find their mealworm pieces with ease, are visible, and can be monitored.

if you want to see it, be able to monitor it and have it eat as reliably as possible...yes, downsize.

Not downsizing wont kill it or harm them, but it will make it more reclusive and it will grow even slower.
I know you are speaking from first hand experience, but the quoted info doesn't apply to A. mooreae. I also have two tiny A. bicoloratum spiderlings I am housing exactly like you do for spiderlings and it works better for them since they have a calmer disposition. I can open the lids without them attempting to run out. I don't see that my A. bicoloratum spiderlings are growing faster and have an easier time finding their food in smaller cups than my A. mooreae which are of the same size but in bigger cups. I also haven't seen the above to be true with two spiderlings of Aphonopelma sp. 'Diamondback' which were at first housed in 1 oz. cups but upgraded to larger ones as they grew. Regardless of the size of the condiment cup in relation to the size of the spiderling, I just don't see any difference it makes in growth rate.