A Molting Question

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is Jacen's roommate Christopher. I have an Emperor Scorpion and it is my first invertebrate. Since Jacen doesnt know much about scorpions he couldn't answer my molting questions. I pretty much just want to know how the thing will molt I have no clue what it looks like or what the signs are. Any info will be useful. THANKS

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chris,

You may or may not see any warning signs. Some scorpions will start exibiting unusual behaviour just prior to a moult. I once had one that insisted on basking out in the open on a rock in the middle of the "day" (artificial lighting) for a couple days before moulting. Others will retreat to their burrow/scrape or any moist place, really. Others still will show absolutely no sign of moulting.

The actual moulting process basicaly involves the rupturing of the exoskeleton, at which point the scorpion will pull itself from its old exoskeleton. I have attached a picture of one of my H.spinifer moulting. The lighting isn't the best, as I didn't want to disturb her, however you can see how she is part way out of her old skeleton. After the moult, the scorpion will take a few days to a week or more to harden, depending on its size. You will be able to tell when it is approaching its fully hardened state by the colouration, which should return to black after a period of being more redish.

As for when it will moult, it takes a scorpion about three years and 6 moults to reach maturity, at which point it will never moult again. The moults aren't evenly spaced, however, as a great deal of growth occurs in the first year. Thus, unless it is a very young scorpion, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Dave. I just fully updated Chris and he is kinda diappointed because his seems to be pretty big. I think it is probably full grown so he may never see it moult. Thanks so much for the help though he and I appreciate it.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
No worries. Moulting is facinating to watch, but no moults = no chance of moulting problems.

Cheers,
Dave

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it does molt while he has it should he be as watchful as I would with a tarantula? Are there any rules he should follow? I would think it would be the same sorta thing as a spider but then again, it has a much harder cuticle than a tarantula so it must not be identical. And afterwards I guess he should keep food out until it gets all black again right?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME emperors molt underground in a burrow. If a deep substrate is provided, and kept fairly moist, molting should not be a problem.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As with a T, there isn't that much you can do if things go wrong. It does pay to make a post-moult check to ensure that everything is off, though.

As for prey items, you may as well exclude them, as it can't hurt. If you are desperate to feed, though, you probably only have to worry about the first couple days -- even for the big boys. The one consideration is that scorpions shouldn't necessarily be left in groups after moulting. I lost one of my H.spinifer post-moult and now take to seperating them out for a week or so.

Cheers,
Dave

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The pleural membrane is going to become more apparent. Oh wait, you don't know what that is...uhhhhh...It's gonna get real fat, and won't eat for a while. Increase humidity, increase heat. It will happen in the middle of the night while you are sleeping. So don't worry about it.

Stugy

Arachnolord
The pleural membrane is going to become more apparent. Oh wait, you don't know what that is...uhhhhh...It's gonna get real fat, and won't eat for a while. Increase humidity, increase heat. It will happen in the middle of the night while you are sleeping. So don't worry about it.
But increase temp and humidity by how much? I've always had that question in my mind but could really never put it into words for some reason.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
But increase temp and humidity by how much? I've always had that question in my mind but could really never put it into words for some reason.
A slight increase. Not a dramatic one. Just to bring a little extra moisture in the air to molt

Stugy

Arachnolord
A slight increase. Not a dramatic one. Just to bring a little extra moisture in the air to molt
Lol that's what people always tell me. But by how much? 5 degrees? What is it lmao. Unless people just don't pay attention -.-

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Lol that's what people always tell me. But by how much? 5 degrees? What is it lmao. Unless people just don't pay attention -.-
10%-15% should be sufficient enough of an increase for both temp and humidity for MOST scorpions

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Very few people I'm sure keep exact measurement. But depending on the scorp . If its a desert sp. Then mist one side of it's enclosure just a tad. Don't want to cause micosis. But scorps that thrive in humidity like a much bigger increase
10%-15% should be sufficient enough of an increase for both temp and humidity for MOST scorpions
MOST NOT ALL too much moisture can kill sensitive desert sp. Or cause micosis