A little mystery

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I received this sling a few months back as part of a package... It was labeled mystery, and since it was so small, I had no idea what it was.

Now, it's molted a few times, and is starting to show adult colors... But I still can't tell what it is. It LOOKS like some kind of Brachy, or maybe an Aphonopelma. Anyone got a guess?

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
If I guess correctly, do I win this little BEAUTY?

Here's what I think:
Holothele sp. "Norte de Santander"

Regardless, WHAT A LITTLE SWEETIE!!!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
defiantly not Holothele at all. They lack Urticating hairs.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Cyriocosmus?
Maybe perezmilesi? Looks like my slings, bit not quite.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maraca? I'm not entirely sure what horrida slings look like at that size (which is the most likely Maraca) but maybe...

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Actually, there are TWO of them.. so... {D
Hmmm. I thought I nailed it with the Holothele... :?

It looks like it has an urticating patch to me, but I'm an admitted COMPLETE NOOB.:rolleyes:

The fact that you have (2) makes you TWICE AS LUCKY!!! My second guess would have been Cyriocosmus perezmilesi , but since you said that they were starting to exhibit adult colors, I went with the Holothele. Like I said, REGARDLESS, of what they ultimately turns out to be, THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS ARE SWEET!!!

Did I mention, I have a Dwarf fetish?:drool:

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

defiantly not Holothele at all. They lack Urticating hairs.
Nevermind my previous post. You're saying that the Holothele lack urticating hairs, and since this has what appears to be an urticating patch, then, this rules out Holothele. Never mind.:wall:

There is a pic of a sling Maraca horrida, half way down on this page:http://8legs2fangs.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html, and It doesn't exactly look like a M. horrida either.

Now I'm EXCITED to find out. Will you keep us posted, please...

web eviction

Arachnolord
Looks exactly like my P.Scrofa sling... mine came as part of a package as well but was labled that and I've had a few in the past.

K well maybe not exactly alike but close right? Lol

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
doesnt look like Maraca to me either. As if I am not mistaken they all posses spine like hairs on the rear legs. like M. robustum.

These are and would be easily visible.

I wont lie, I too thought for a second it was a Maraca sp.

what throws me off is the greenish tint on the carapace, and the mirror patch.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Urtication patch is the wrong shape for P. scrofa. What do Euathlus slings look like? That might explain the slight irridescence on the carapace.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ Euathlus have a different shape U hair patch as well.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Hmmmm... who did you get it from? I too have a mystery sling, but the seller gave me a hint or two. It actually looks a BIT like my little fellow named Piel Azul...

Marga

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ apparently you didnt read the thread.

IT CANNOT BE HOLOTHELE! they lack urticating bristles. PERIOD. The specimen in question has a very obvious mirror patch(aka urticating bristles).

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My little Piel is an Euthaeus Sp. Blue. He was a wee little thing barely 3/4" (he could have fit on a dime!) across when I first got him. He's molted twice, and is over 1 1/4" DLS now. He looks a lot like your little sling. He was translucent pink when I got him, probably just 2nd instar. Now he looks like a proper little T, but no adult coloration yet.

Here is Piel, photo taken this week.

Marga