A. iodus eggsac...40 day mark

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an Aphonopelma iodus eggsac at 40+ days of age. I hear incubation for this species is about 60 days to first instar.

Would it be ok to take the sac now? I'm guessing they are eggs with legs.

Exactly what do you do with them when you take them at this stage?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
40 days, yep you should have eggs with legs and they may be darkening for another molt.

Ok so before you take it prepare a container. Since rotation is not going to be needed at this point all you need is a container lined with a moist paper towel. Once you have it set up pull the sac open gently and see what's going on. And take pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! None of this I don’t have a camera crap, go borrow one if you don’t have one lol :D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
40 days, yep you should have eggs with legs and they may be darkening for another molt.

Ok so before you take it prepare a container. Since rotation is not going to be needed at this point all you need is a container lined with a moist paper towel. Once you have it set up pull the sac open gently and see what's going on. And take pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! None of this I don’t have a camera crap, go borrow one if you don’t have one lol :D
(clapping and jumping up and down like he is on Family Feud) GOOD ANSWER 9clap clap) Good answer

Show me #1

lol sorry
I agree with Ryan lol
could you tell? and save me a couple of them slings lol

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It has been 41 days since I discovered the sac(it could have well been older than that)

Ooh I am so nervous! And excited!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Out of curiosity where did you get your A. iodus? And how do you know it is A. iodus?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The A. iodus was collected by myself. I am assuming she is A. iodus as at scottstarantulas.com a tarantula species is listed as "Fresno County Brown" ID'ed as A. iodus by Rick West. I don't think any other species occurs in Fresno County.

I went to check on the sac and Murphy's Law came in to play. The sac is gone! :(

I'm pretty sure it was a good sac. The likely reason is that her hide(corrugated cardboard) collapsed due to it being too moist in the container(I had refilled the water dish and lightly moistened the substrate several weeks earlier). I am shocked to say the least as I have no idea how the container could have got that humid. I also feel very stupid. I thought I had considered everything that could have went wrong.

So I'm guessing I need to wait for her to molt before trying again?

Man...this blows. I was hoping to see the next stage and raise all those leetle tarantulas. :(
I think I need to obtain another female tarantula so I can try again and this time things should go correctly. Kinda unfortunate that this A. iodus sac had to be a lesson teacher.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dig for it, root around and see if she might have burried it or set it in her hide.

Oh and if Rick said Iodus then Iodus it is. {D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've turned over the substrate in her container a few times. The sac is gone. She also looks almost normal so she likely consumed it. I can't even find any silk.

I'm sure you all know how it feels...but man I had a lot of hopes for that sac. I was hoping to trade for a few new species(currently have A. iodus, B. albo, and B. vagans), spread around some tarantulas with locality data, and raise a few and return them to where they came from(unless it got developed up).

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As I said to you earlier if this was collected in cali this probably is not A. iodius not saying it is not but chances are slim.

and if it is A. iodius they won't molt to 1st instar for 60 days after being laid

please post a pic of this T you have :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As I said to you earlier if this was collected in cali this probably is not A. iodius not saying it is not but chances are slim.

and if it is A. iodius they won't molt to 1st instar for 60 days after being laid

please post a pic of this T you have :)
Most Aphonopelma iodius are found in Utah, Vegas does have a small population of them but by no means are they limited to only Vegas.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most Aphonopelma iodius are found in Utah, Vegas does have a small population of them but by no means are they limited to only Vegas.
Tust me I have been doing my research on the distribution. I know utah has them I will PM you