A. iodius

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
When a thread is from '03 and the poster hasn't logged on in two years, it's useless to post on it. If it were to say, the poster was still active, go for it! But when it's like this... it's just bruh.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Casey K I recently made an analogy concerning starting with T's. I compared it with learning how to ride a horse. I think it applies here as well as too why I think someone should not be getting a P.metallica simply because he has to have one.

If you're in school, you need to start at the bottom basics. When you learn to ride a horse, to draw, to paint, you need to start at the basics. You will make mistakes, but that is why you're learning the basics first. If you get up on horse facing the rear end of it, and someone tells you it is better to get off and try again facing the right way, you don't argue. You get off and follow advice. That is, if you want to learn the right way to ride....'

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, talking about this and this only, i think that Jose (Exoskeleton Invertebrates) was only sarcastic in stating his opinion about the thread question.

I don't find his reply "rude", "elitist", nor "toxic" nor else :) but funny.

I wouldn't, at all, being upset for that if i'd was a beginner moving his/her first steps into the T's world and in this site.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
@Casey K I recently made an analogy concerning starting with T's. I compared it with learning how to ride a horse. I think it applies here as well as too why I think someone should not be getting a P.metallica simply because he has to have one.

If you're in school, you need to start at the bottom basics. When you learn to ride a horse, to draw, to paint, you need to start at the basics. You will make mistakes, but that is why you're learning the basics first. If you get up on horse facing the rear end of it, and someone tells you it is better to get off and try again facing the right way, you don't argue. You get off and follow advice. That is, if you want to learn the right way to ride....'
I agree with you 100% on this subject. I never said I "recommend" someone having a poecie as their first T....my whole reason of mentioning that was the fact that a lot of people (and is proven in previous threads) would ASK questions about obtaining a sp. such as that only to get completely bashed about the subject....I'm pretty sure folks know what I'm referring to. It's just like a friend/customer of mine that wants to breed rosehair. She is fairly new to the hobby....has various sp. of T's (including OW) and does very well with them. Now, this happened on FB...she was asking me advice and asking others advice on FB....the female rosehair she is breeding is at least 5". They were telling her how stupid she was for wanting to breed her because the male was almost as big as the female. They said that the male was too big for the female & could hurt or kill her. They also continued to ramble on about how ignorant I was for making suggestions about breeding. Giving positive advice when you're full of knowledge is a good thing. You live and you learn. That's why we're here....but to verbally bash someone just for asking a simple question who's topic others may find "ignorant" when really all that person wanted to do was educate themselves in that matter....is immoral.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Casey, this thread is from '03...
What's your point? Are you the official timekeeper of threads? Its not like the species went extinct. I have a small 3" female, looks very similar to chalcodes. Mine is a bit skittish but is usually always out in the open.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
People talk about my manners. One way to chase members off is to make sarcastic comments when they add to an old thread. Good plan: Let's try to make them look dumb! Not like every new thread is a bell ringer.
I'm glad you can learn from history instead of repeating it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
What's your point? Are you the official timekeeper of threads? Its not like the species went extinct. I have a small 3" female, looks very similar to chalcodes. Mine is a bit skittish but is usually always out in the open.
Please read my comment above. When a thread is from '03 and the poster hasn't logged on in two years, it's useless to post on it. If it were to say, the poster was still active, go for it!

Trenor

Arachnoprince

I agree with you for the most part, I recently made an analogy between raising Ts and riding a bike. Like with everything else in life people will learn at different rates. There should be a progression, but the speed of the progression can greatly vary per the individual and how much help they have. I think the painting/drawing analogy is not such a good one as we most celebrate the artist that fly in the face of convention and standardization.

However, I think the main point @Casey K was making is just because you are imparting knowledge doesn't give to a free pass to be rude/nasty to people. Most of them will come here looking for help after making mistakes. Sometimes the mistake is starting out with something hard to care for. Sometimes it's not understanding proper care. That is just a thing that happens and not likely to change. How receptive they are to the advice given often depends on how it is presented and they are treated. Being sarcastic and snide has never inspired anyone to listen or learn.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Please read my comment above. When a thread is from '03 and the poster hasn't logged on in two years, it's useless to post on it. If it were to say, the poster was still active, go for it!
Well, while indeed you are absolutely right about the date of the thread, and by the fact that the poster hasn't logged since a lot, i think that jiacovazzi wanted to say that (knowing those things, of course) still remain a non answered question that could help, if not the poster, others people with that Theraphosidae and that concern.

My two cents, uh.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Doesn't matter how old a thread is. Why not build on them, and keep adding info and insights so it's consolidated. It's a lot easier to find than dozens of threads on the same topic, scattered all over. There's some great info in old threads, that a lot of people would benefit from reading.

Last edited:

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
How is it useless? A. iodius is still in the hobby and who knows.. Maybe this thread will spark interest for more hobbyists to want this amazing T.

Tox, I would recommend you look into it, its a great beginner species. As Poec says, it doesn't matter how old a thread is, we learn more all the time and it makes more sense to add on to an existing thread (regardless of the age) instead of creating countless new threads about it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
How is it useless? A. iodius is still in the hobby and who knows.. Maybe this thread will spark interest for more hobbyists to want this amazing T.

Tox, I would recommend you look into it, its a great beginner species. As Poec says, it doesn't matter how old a thread is, we learn more all the time and it makes more sense to add on to an existing thread (regardless of the age) instead of creating countless new threads about it.
I don't really know much about Aphonopelma aside from the basic care requirements. What makes this species different? Just wondering, as I probably should keep some more NW terrestrials.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Doesn't matter how old a thread is. Why not build on them, and keep adding info and insights so it's consolidated. It's a lot easier to find than dozens of threads on the same topic, scattered all over. There's some great info in old threads, that a lot of people would benefit from reading.
Totally agree with you.
I use the site's search function to get info on a problem/question I may have. A lot of the threads are years old, but contain the answer I was needing. Adding to an older thread with pertinent information is a definite plus, irregardless if the OP is active or not.
In this hobby there is never too much information, just too many threads asking the same questions.

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@Toxoderidae the OP may not be logging on anymore but maybe some of us would like to know the answer to the questions on these dead threads that were never answered. I've seen several threads that werr completely unanswered from several years ago that I found by trying to find information on species or care. What does it matter if its a old thread brought back to life in search of answers or a new one?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, talking about this and this only, i think that Jose (Exoskeleton Invertebrates) was only sarcastic in stating his opinion about the thread question.

I don't find his reply "rude", "elitist", nor "toxic" nor else :) but funny.

I wouldn't, at all, being upset for that if i'd was a beginner moving his/her first steps into the T's world and in this site.
It seems there were a few members that realize that my very first comment I made was sarcasm. This thread has resurface from long ago in a galaxy far far way in very slow rate as the A. iodius. What I find amusing is Rick getting worked up over a silly comment that was made on my 1st post that I personally did not single out a specific person. As you stated Chris LXXIX you did not find my comment to be "rude", "elitist", nor toxic. Thank you Chris LXXIX for seeing the humor of my post.

As usual Rick aka Poec54 has to jump on his little pony and as if he's Paul Revere and alert the community of his outcry. Enough said about Paul Revere and his Express Pony.

Now the Aphonopelma iodius I've had them as slings and mature males only. Mature males are giving to me by people who acquire them in their back yards or happen to be inside their homes. As I stated these species is very slow growing. The climate here is very dry and during the winter months it can get very cold and foggy at times. We have short summers at least that's what it feels like to me anyways. I'm hoping someday I'll acquire a female until than I'll keep on receiving mature males so this males can be release back in their natural habitat.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Well, while indeed you are absolutely right about the date of the thread, and by the fact that the poster hasn't logged since a lot, i think that jiacovazzi wanted to say that (knowing those things, of course) still remain a non answered question that could help, if not the poster, others people with that Theraphosidae and that concern.

My two cents, uh.
Jiacovazzi?......NM.....issue with my phone.

Last edited:

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Just because they haven't logged on in a couple years doesn't rule out the "possibility" that they won't log back in. Maybe "improbable" but nothing is impossible. :).

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
This spider is on my wish list. Such a cool species. May not be the prettiest but they are cool.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It seems there were a few members that realize that my very first comment I made was sarcasm. This thread has resurface from long ago in a galaxy far far way in very slow rate as the A. iodius. What I find amusing is Rick getting worked up over a silly comment that was made on my 1st post that I personally did not single out a specific person. As you stated Chris LXXIX you did not find my comment to be "rude", "elitist", nor toxic. Thank you Chris LXXIX for seeing the humor of my post.
Nothing, man. Basically not only your comment made me laugh, but provided, at the same time, the reply for the Thread poster question, just like Casey K did.

A bit of sarcams never killed anyone in life, so far :-s

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As usual Rick aka Poec54 has to jump on his little pony and as if he's Paul Revere and alert the community of his outcry. Enough said about Paul Revere and his Express Pony.

You bring up Paul Revere and then say you don't want to talk about him? Split personality?