A. hentzi temperment

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wanted to ask any of you who own A. hentzi, what are their temperments like? I thought they were supposed to be docile. I have a 3 1/2 inch juvie that I think has been reincarnated with the spirit of an OBT.
It will throw a threat pose at the slightest distrubance, if I go to fill its water or even drop in a cricket.
Is anyone elses like that or is mine possessed?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a 3 1/2 inch juvie that I think has been reincarnated with the spirit of an OBT.
Sounds like you have a healthy T. Everyone I have had acted like that to one degree or another. One a while back was a bit calmer then my others, but still if I inadvertently breathed on her she was off to the races. So yes very normal. I loved mine for the crazytown tunnels she made all thick with webbing. {D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i received one of Austin's WC ones as a freebie. she's moulted since in my care and is now pushing 3". her temperment is curious/defensive and eats like a pig. sometimes skittish. she loves pooping all over one of the sides of her enclosure. only that side though. almost like she's been potty trained. very interesting behavior. she's definitely a keeper though...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ryan, ok, just wondered. It is very healthy looking, burrows, webs, and eats quite a bit. I was told when I bought it that they were docile though and I was wondering if the meaning of docile had changed. :rolleyes:

138, Wow, she is really pretty!!!! Mine is no where near that big. I'll consider it normal and continue to treat it with extreme respect. I'm sure it would bite if given the opportunity.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mine is the same way{D pretty skittish/defence etc. she eats great, sooo maybe they are not so docile? ahh i still luv her anyway:D

Urbanspider

Arachnopeon
A. Hintzi temperment

Mina,

I have three A. Hintzis and they are a bit skittish, but I've never had any defensive behavior from them. I often take one to schools for presentations on tarantulas and she always acts like a perfect lady. My biggest one has gotten a bit more, shall we say, assertive. If she doesn't want to be disturbed she'll crawl off to her hiding spot and ignore me. She will also roll her water dish around the cage at night making lots of racket (for a spider) when she's thirsty. I have noticed that these critters do seem to have a very strong feeding instinct which may give the impression of a defensive reaction. Sometimes the crickets don't even hit the dirt...:eek:

Urbanspider

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a 3 1/2 in female and she will throw a threat in the enclosure, but I also bring her to school presentations and she has always been very good.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All the A. hentzi I've known were handleable but they were just a tad bit skittish.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have about a dozen A. hentzi and there are a couple that are a little skittish but I can handle all of them just fine. I've found they tend to be more skittish after they have healed from a molt. Other than that, they seem to be very friendly and able to be picked up without a problem.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have an adult female A. hentzi. I would say she's one of my most interesting T's as far as behavior goes. I wouldn't call it aggressive, but nervous yes. Will come out of her hide when I open the enclosure and do a few laps. Just kind of walks around for awhile then back into her hole. Might do this several times if I just sit and watch her. I have about 4 inches of substrate in her enclosure. She spent the first two weeks I had her moving all of it to one side. Only defensive behavior I have seen is from touching her with a paint brush to get her to come out of her hole to show a friend. She came out doing her best threat posture she could. Not really very convincing. Lasted about 30 seconds and then she went for another few laps. I don't handle her but have no doubt that it would be safe for me. She's pretty quick so not sure how safe it would be for her.;)

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a 2.5'' that is the calmest t i have ever had. one of the 3 i got today was a mm and even he let me hold him i figgured it was a lil cold from the shipping but even 14 hours after getting put in the spider room eating and exploring his new home he still let me pick him up one of the other two is a lil skitish but not agressive the third went strait to her hide and is playing pet rock imho hentzi is a must have for anyone who wants to pick up and hold their Ts

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wonder what went wrong with Mina's A.Hentzi? lol, from what i've been reading, this seems like a rather calm species.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think mine is just one of the ones that don't follow the rules. Whatever book says A. hentzis are docile T's is one mine hasn't had the time to read. I'm not to worried, that isn't the only T that I have that does not act "as it should". I also have a P. cancerides that is a calm, handleable, sweet little teddy bear.