A. gigas molt issue

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I got my hands on some juvenile A. gigas millipedes a few months back. I've been keeping them in the same enclosure (a standard tupperware bin, five inches of substrate, usually about 70-75 degrees) with three juvenile P. excisus and a handful of ispods (Armadillidium vulgare and/or Armadillidium nasatum, according to the dealer).

A few weeks ago they disappeared under the substrate and I assumed they were molting. Earlier this week I opened the enclosure for my weekly misting and feeding and I found one of the A. gigas curled up on the surface, looking half-molted. His exo-skeleton was pale and there were spots showing through where I could see the new exo beneath. I was careful not to disturb him and went about my business.

This morning, I saw him up and walking around, munching on the romaine I put it there. He looks to be in pretty rough shape, though. I can't tell if he's half molted or what. Here are some pics (obligatory apology for quality of cell phone images):

So, I was wondering if anyone had any input. Is it possible that the isopods could have been munching on him? That was my first guess. Also, do you think he'll survive? I'd hate to lose the poor guy.

Here's a pic of them in their prime, since everyone likes pics :cool: :

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Can you take higher quality pics later and post them?

I have only seen one molt issue with one of my 17 AGMs but it was no where near as bad as what you have there.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Damage like that usually doesn't lead to death. It can mostly heal at the next molt. It doesn't look like damage from isopods.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
Can you take higher quality pics later and post them?
I will do my best to locate a better camera. Again, I apologize for the cell phone pics. I wish my Droid Eris had a macro mode.

Damage like that usually doesn't lead to death. It can mostly heal at the next molt. It doesn't look like damage from isopods.
Great! Thank you for the input.

Last edited:

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's been a few days since your last post, how are your pedes doing?

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
The second one just came out this morning. He's half-buried right now so I can't see all of him, but he looks like he has some similar damage to the first. Luckily, both millis seem to be fine otherwise. I think I'm going to separate the millis from the isopods, just in case that's what's going on.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the second one seems to have much less damage than the first.

Last edited: