A Geniculata White Area on Abdomen

PenelopeTheT

Arachnopeon
Hi there all,

We’re in need of some advice, if you’d be so kind?! 😊

Sidney, our lovely little A Geniculata female, has this pale dusty/frosty area on her abdomen (see pics!)

It’s been like this for a few weeks now... Started off just looking like a few very small dust speckles and today we’ve noticed it’s become more of a blanket, paler coloured area and we aren’t sure if we need to be concerned or not?!

TIA for any help!!

Attachments

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
it may just be that the opisthoma is starting to dry for pre molt. The second pic almost looks like it is starting to bald on the back as well. You may have grain mites, that is kind of how it looks

PenelopeTheT

Arachnopeon
it may just be that the opisthoma is starting to dry for pre molt. The second pic almost looks like it is starting to bald on the back as well. You may have grain mites, that is kind of how it looks
Thanks for your reply!! I wondered if this may be the case as she is looking slightly duller in colour than usual... We’re fairly new to hobby still, and I think perhaps slightly paranoid 😂

I think the flash from my phone camera may have caused what you think looks like the balding at back in second pic! She definitely doesn’t have a bald patch there! Would grain mites be a concern though if this ever was the case? What causes it and what would we need to do?

Thanks again!!!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I’ve noticed this “frosting” on big South American species: pamphos and genics. Here’s my Pampho machala days before a molt:
819E0E3C-8EA7-4F64-9D06-D2E4E92A6B72.jpeg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if you have mites it means your set up is too moist. You have to remove the T and completely clean it and then re set it up with new dirt. While you do this you keep the T in fairly dry enclosure, they say if you put a piece of fruit in there the mites will migrate there. I am sure if you do a search here you can find more info than I am providing. Let's hope it is the other route (premolt signs)

PenelopeTheT

Arachnopeon
if you have mites it means your set up is too moist. You have to remove the T and completely clean it and then re set it up with new dirt. While you do this you keep the T in fairly dry enclosure, they say if you put a piece of fruit in there the mites will migrate there. I am sure if you do a search here you can find more info than I am providing. Let's hope it is the other route (premolt signs)
Ah okay! Thank you for the info 👍 Timings wise she’s probably due to molt soon anyway so premolt would make sense - so fingers crossed it is that this time!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would grain mites be a concern though if this ever was the case? What causes it and what would we need to do?
They're a minor nuisance at worst and one of the most unnecessarily panicked about things in the hobby (along with mould), fairly easy to prevent/get rid of without resorting to extreme measures like rehousing/substrate changes/deep cleaning enclosures, read the thread linked below.

.Nikola.

Arachnopeon
Looks like a combination of mites and some mold. I would move her to another plain dry enclosure for a while and even pour on her some dried coco fiber so it can help absorbing the moisture after which the mold/mites will be gone. She doesn't seem like she will molt soon so don't worry about that in terms of humidity.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
It's fairly easy to tell if you have grain mites. Go into the room at night with a torch and shine it on the enclosure walls and look for little white dots moving about on the walls.

PenelopeTheT

Arachnopeon
It's fairly easy to tell if you have grain mites. Go into the room at night with a torch and shine it on the enclosure walls and look for little white dots moving about on the walls.
Thats a good tip, thank you!! Can’t see any mites/anything moving... She has recently been moved in to a new enclosure also, so I do now think it’s unlikely mites 😊 Thanks for the reply!!