A. geniculata - sperm web

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, after 2 months at Golden Phoenix Exotica with no interest in mating of the production of a sperm web, Erik my mature male A. geniculata came home last week.
Today, as I'm checking on him, he has made a marvelous sperm web and appears ready to go.
Anyone else ever experience a similar situation where no interest in mating until after the female is gone? Do you think it has something to do with environment or comfort level? I'm really looking for any input.
Also, does anyone know of a female A. geniculata in the Virginia/North Carolina area that is ready for mating? I'm hoping to find a local keeper and try and breed him.
Thanks
Ralph

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Well, after 2 months at Golden Phoenix Exotica with no interest in mating of the production of a sperm web, Erik my mature male A. geniculata came home last week.
Today, as I'm checking on him, he has made a marvelous sperm web and appears ready to go.
Anyone else ever experience a similar situation where no interest in mating until after the female is gone?

I posted pics of N. coloratovillosums mating a couple of weeks ago. I got the male on loan and was told that he may be too old. My female was nearing a molt when I got the male so I didn't put them together for almost two months. During this time the male showed no interest in food and did not make any sperm webs. When I finally put them together, he went through the motions of mating, but I assumed it was just that- going through the motions. His hook-ups seemed to be more of an attempt to keep the female at bay than mating. The very next morning I discovered that this geriatric male had made a sperm web. I placed them together several more times and witnessed inserts. I have not seen another sperm web from him ( it's been about 3 weeks),but he has resumed eating.

I have also heard from others of seemingly uninterested males making sperm webs after being with a female.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ralph,
I did get to see you male, great looking t. But defentally a little shy of the ladies. Im glad that he is now gotten up with the chase.

Sincerely,

Brandon

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brandon,
I'm happy as well that he has finally decided he wants to mate. Only problem is no available females in my area.
Not sure what to do.
As for the sperm web, as silly as it sounds, I think he is happy to be home in his old tank, and this is why he felt comfortable enough to make a sperm web. This is another reason I would like to find a local breeder as I would bring the entire enclosure and let him stay in that while attempting to mate.
The only other thing I've thought of is trying to purchase a mature female geniculata. although the thoughts of dollars signs keep clouding my vision.
Ralph

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ralph,
I hear you, im starting with a younge one(mines 2-3 inches) in hopes it will be female and to save a buck or 2. Best of luck to you and him

Sincerely,

Brandon