A. geniculata setup

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, this is the future home of my 4 inch geniculata. She will be far to large for her KK when she molts next. This is a 10 gal aquarium, with a large sized hide with plenty of room for expansion. Let me know what you think. I also have a Plexi-glass top with holes drilled in half of it secured with numerous small velcro strips. It holds it on real well.

Attachments

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think this setup looks pretty nice (especially the cool idea with the velco lid), although it's indicative of how peat can dry out quickly and can be difficult to re-dampen except for the few patches that get wet from the spray bottle. I prefer to mix it with a little soil, vermiculite and sometimes even sand to give it some weight so that the tarantula can move it around easier.

I'm also getting better results these days with peat/verm as a lower base and then a shallow layer of orchid or 'reptile bark' on the top, which gives a nice textured and non-damp surface for the spider to crawl on. Both pedes and t's seem to really like this better. Burrowing spiders seem to love it, because it mimics the varied material they would naturally encounter and have to work with.

I like the hidey space and the dish - oh, and one thing about plexi - it may well warp over time and you may find yourself having to weight down the corners for a perfect fit. I've had that problem with all but the thickest plexi tops.

Good luck!

bill

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I messed up the name, the top is Lucite, not plexiglass. The substrate is 70/30 or 60/40 pottingsoil/peatmoss. I always use damp towels on top of the cages to keep humidity closer to 80% for my needy species, and then i dont have to worry as much about mites and such because i dont have to mist often.

Thanks!

Mark

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hehe, yet again i use the infamous "weed" silk plants in my T's enclosure :D :D

Mark