A. geniculata or Acanthoscurria something else

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was given this very nice spider yestarday and it looks to me as Acanthoscurria geniculata but I am wondering if it something else. The name that was given was a brazilian red and white. If anyone has another species that that it might be please let me know. I can also post up other pictures if that would be more help.

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like a Acanthoscurria geniculata to me. Nice a fat too.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can be a genic, the Brazilian Red and White is the common name for a Lasiodora cristata and your T looks like one, the Lasiodora cristata, A. genic and N. coloratovillosus all look similar, I would say genic or L cristata for yours.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can be a genic, the Brazilian Red and White is the common name for a Lasiodora cristata and your T looks like one, the Lasiodora cristata, Genic and coloratovillosus all look similar, I would say genic or L cristata for yours.
I think the thorax is too dark to be a cristata.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the thorax is too dark to be a cristata.
I took that into consideration as well, I'm leaning more towards the A genic b/c the cristata would of had brighter bandings and striping and as you said a brighter thorax.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can be a genic, the Brazilian Red and White is the common name for a Lasiodora cristata and your T looks like one, the Lasiodora cristata, A. genic and N. coloratovillosus all look similar, I would say genic or L cristata for yours.
What is commonly known as a Brazilian Red and White in the hobby is a Nhandu chromatus which had formerly been called a L. cristata.

Also, a N. coloratovillosus looks quite a bit different than a N. chromatus or a A. geniculata.

Last edited:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is commonly known as a Brazilian Red and White in the hobby is a Nhandu chromatus which had formerly been called a L. cristata.

Also, a N. coloratovillosus looks quite a bit different than a N. chromatus or a A. geniculata.
Well I said similar not exactly the same, i know the coloratovillosus is more off than the chromatus and genic, thanks for the input though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd say that's a geniculata, def. not a nhandu of any kind. beautiful t, btw, and fun :D

spinnekop04

Arachnopeon
Id...

I'd agree with Nhandu Chromatus, A Genic colouring is much whiter on the striping....:cool:

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd say its a Nhandu Chromatus. common name would be "Brazilian Red and White" :}

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is Acanthoscurria geniculata, N. chromatus has a much much paler, almost an ashy white carapace.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm 95% sure you have a Acanthoscurria geniculata. The only other possibility that I can think of is Acanthoscurria brocklehursti but, without seeing the two side by side it kind of hard to tell.

The difference between the two that I have seen is Acanthoscurria brocklehursti have narrower banding on the legs than Acanthoscurria geniculata and are darker in color as well. There might be size differences too but, I have only seen adult Acanthoscurria geniculata and only larger juveniles of Acanthoscurria brocklehursti so there could be a size difference.

Those are my two guesses. I hope this helps.

Brian