A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, or P. imperator?

Which invert should I buy?

• A. geniculata

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • C. cyaneopubescens

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • P. imperator

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I WANTED to get a sling of both A. genic and C. cyaneopubescens, but a lot of people have told me to just get a confirmed female juvenile of one of them.
I've enjoyed both Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and Acanthoscurria geniculata but for different reasons.

The GBB is colorful and makes interesting web tunnels.

The genic, even as a sling, is an unstoppable killing machine.

So honestly, whichever sounds more enjoyable to you -- or you could just get one of each!

a lot of people have told me to just get a confirmed female juvenile of one of them.
My GBB is an unsexed sling, and my genic is a free unsexed sling.

I prefer females (I don't have any plans to breed tarantulas at this time), but I don't really mind the uncertainty or the possibility that it might be male. Males are just as fun to raise, and when they reach maturity, I can sell or trade them for something else. (Mature male GBBs are often in demand.)

Again, that's a matter of personal preference, patience, and tolerance for "risk."

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Since I'm "not allowed" to have any type of scorpion currently I voted for the P. imperator. 7 tarantulas she is ok with, but 1 scorpion is off limits :banghead:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
And scorpions cant even climb smooth surfaces. And they don't have a ranged attack :/
Right! Pure biased opinion because my wife didn't pay attention to where she put her hand as a kid :wacky: Even my argument of "How many spider bites have you had over the years?" didn't convince her lol For now I will just have to admire other people's scorpions I guess.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I'd pick the GBB and the scorp. While Ts are the bees knees. Scorpions are also very interesting. What could be neater than something that molts through it's face lol. Plus they are totally different from Ts with similar care. So it makes it easy to try something new. I really dig my scorpions :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I actually just realized that if I go with the scorpion, I have to get two because the emperor is one of the only scorpions that kind of needs to be communal or it gets stressed from loneliness. Unless they don't need to be communal until maturity. Wouldn't want one to get eaten during a molt.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Just from reading around and hearing what people say about em, I'd go with A. geniculata. Ive read nothing but good things and I've actually decided its at the top of my list for my first T.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just from reading around and hearing what people say about em, I'd go with A. geniculata. Ive read nothing but good things and I've actually decided its at the top of my list for my first T.
You can't go wrong with one. Nice choice :-s

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If you want a first T, go with the same one I did, the G. pulchripes. Unfortunately, cold blood is all out of them, so you won't be able to get one of Regina's sisters, but man have I had fun with her. Super active, hungry, and colorful. Of course, the genic is all of those too, but it's also somewhat bitey and defensive. Its hairs are horrible. It's a great beginner T, but not a good FIRST tarantula.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
If you want a first T, go with the same one I did, the G. pulchripes. Unfortunately, cold blood is all out of them, so you won't be able to get one of Regina's sisters, but man have I had fun with her. Super active, hungry, and colorful. Of course, the genic is all of those too, but it's also somewhat bitey and defensive. Its hairs are horrible. It's a great beginner T, but not a good FIRST tarantula.
I dont much consider bitey and defensive as an issue. I don't plan on handling, so the risk there is kindof minimum. Will definitely read up on G. pulchripes, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I dont much consider bitey and defensive as an issue. I don't plan on handling, so the risk there is kindof minimum. Will definitely read up on G. pulchripes, though. Thanks for the recommendation!
They even look similar to the genic
Regina superworm.JPG

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I also love my G. pulchripes. So much in fact that I went and bought two more slings. I won't be holding any of mine either, but just the activity level is fun for me. I definitely recommend the species.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hee is a ROUGH size increase comparison between A. geniculata and G. pulchripes, with a time variation factor. In the first set, you''ll see the pulchripes on the left. This was taken when I received it, on September 9th, 2014. On the right, my geniculata, taken when I received it on May 9th, 2015

m_IMG_3027crop-horz.jpg

Below, the same two spiders, taken just today for the purpose of this example...

m_IMG_6118crop-horz.jpg

Now, I realize that there are variables involved here, different camera settings and crops not being the least, and also gender could play a role as I haven't determined their sexes yet. The pulchripes came here at what I'd estimate 1/2 inch , the genic was sold as 3/4 inch which looked about right to me. This doesn't prove much at all, but I was killing time. And it killed a lot of it. :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hee is a ROUGH size increase comparison between A. geniculata and G. pulchripes, with a time variation factor. In the first set, you''ll see the pulchripes on the left. This was taken when I received it, on September 9th, 2014. On the right, my geniculata, taken when I received it on May 9th, 2015

View attachment 235551

Below, the same two spiders, taken just today for the purpose of this example...

View attachment 235552

Now, I realize that there are variables involved here, different camera settings and crops not being the least, and also gender could play a role as I haven't determined their sexes yet. The pulchripes came here at what I'd estimate 1/2 inch , the genic was sold as 3/4 inch which looked about right to me. This doesn't prove much at all, but I was killing time. And it killed a lot of it. :D
Doesn't seem to be an overly big size difference.