A few things about G. roseas. (questions)

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was out yesterday with 50 extra bucks in my pocket, and we can't have that. No no. So I felt like buying a new specimen for my new addiction. = D

I really had my mind set on a L. parahybana, however, people around here expect millions for a 1/2" spiderling, and ordering in from somewhere is not possible at this time.

So I went to Petland, and started looking around for an A. seemanni (blue tint) all they had was boring dull grey ones. But, this really beautiful rosea caught my eye, he/she was at the top of the tank chewing on the mesh. It obviously wanted out. It's abdomen was super skinny as well, I'm thinking it just molted. But it may be the case where it's not been cared for properly.

So my questions I suppose... is this a red morph? Copper phase? My first rosea was that muddy dull color (I actually don't mind it). However, this is a bit more spectacular (yeah, I have a favorite SHHHH = D Who doesn't?)

Here's some pictures I took this morning.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=14028&l=d0e75&id=769160229

She/he's about 2 1/2" very rough estimate. VERY VERY friendly, like wow! does not kick hairs at all.

All right, question two; my first rosea thinks it's an OBT. what am I doing wrong. Temp is consistent 24 degrees Celsius. Humidity is at 55%. Water in the water dish at all times (changed everyday). She has a hide, I'm using a peat/potting soil mix (sterilized, no chemicals).

I was taking out her water dish and she lunged at my hand from across the tank. It didn't result in a bite, however, she had a firm grip on my hand with her first four legs. Oh, and no, she's not hungry. I left a cricket in there for 2 days... I took it out this morning.

Summary!

Any insight on my schizophrenic rosea?
And the one I got yesterday a red morph? Copper phase? Or something else...?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
No, that is not an RCF. Just a pretty rosea.:)

About your other one, some just happen to be that way. rosea's have got to be the most random and unpredictable of all species. Some are beasts, some are tame, some switch back and forth. Don't worry about it.

-Sean

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. At least I got away with the rest of my hand right?! Haha.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha. Obviously, why didn't I think of that!

Can anyone help me out wiht this color phase stuff.

There's the muddy dull brown...and the pinkish metallic tint on the carapace.

Then there's Red phase, which is just, WOW. And then I read somewhere there is a copper phase?

Anyone have pictures of the copper phase?

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on your new T, its quite a looker for a rosie. One thing though, where are people wanting a lot for an L. parahybana? Every single site on the net selling T's that I've seen has 3/4 inch slings for 7-10 dollars, and 2-3 inch juvies for 30-40 dollars, that's hardly millions. Just a heads up for when you want to get a salmon pink.

And the "copper phase rosea" isn't actually a rosea at all. The Chilean copper is P. scrofa.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And the "copper phase rosea" isn't actually a rosea at all. The Chilean copper is P. scrofa.
But there is such a thing as an RCF Rosea right? And that is just a color phase of a G Rosea..........?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lot of pet stores. and I know online, there's great prices. however, I'm stuck up here in Canada, so I'm limited to only a handful of online dealers. Stupid border problems. Someone was advertising on the forum that they have blue tint A. seemanni spiderlings for sale, I wanted three, five bucks a piece you can't go wrong. But of course... this gentleman lives in the states, an I live in Canada, and customs are really anal.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
But there is such a thing as an RCF Rosea right? And that is just a color phase of a G Rosea..........?
Yes, it is just a colorphase. The chilean copper is a totally different genus.
Your rosea is just a well-colored specimen. Looks quite freshly molted as well. Not any special color form.

As far as I know the RCF rosie is a rosie. A while ago it was G. cala, but now they're saying its just a color morph of G. rosea. So for the moment it is a rosie.
Yes it is, because they are found in rosea sacks. :)

-Sean

Last edited:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as I know the RCF rosie is a rosie. A while ago it was G. cala, but now they're saying its just a color morph of G. rosea. So for the moment it is a rosie.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone have a picture of a RCF Rosea? I think I have one....... But I dont know much outside brachys so I need some help here. I can get pics when I get off work.

Hey shadow, do you happen to know what % RCF comes out of a sac? Or is it purely hit and miss recessive genitics?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hey shadow, do you happen to know what % RCF comes out of a sac? Or is it purely hit and miss genitics?
No, I don't know the percentage. But seeing their availability, it does not seem like much. If the gene however is recessive, pairing two adult RCF's would seriously increase the number.

There are indeed considered by some to be 3 different colorforms, Red, 'Pink', and Grey. All can be found in a rosea eggsack.

-Sean

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is not an orange and purple form is there? I thought it was RCF and Common and that was it.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm thinking that those aren't 'official' color form divisions...? Someone help me out. :?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I do not believe the 'Pink' ('Purple' 'Orange' 'Beer-colored'....) is a true colorform that can be genetically 'isolated'. Whereas RCF and 'Grey' possibly are. Many tests will have to be done.

-Sean

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
But there is no Orange and Purple........... right?
Not accepted by regular hobby lingo, no. But I'm no taxonomist, and what they consider as a true colorform is beyond my knowledge. Although I believe it has to do with what I said above, genetics and traits.

-Sean