a few simple questions on my H.longimanus

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
guys how can i tell if my h.longimanus is already mature?
i read something here in this forum that you can id it from the color of the telson. the telson of my scorp is already a dark red/ maroon color. is this a sign that my longimanus is mature?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can tell by morphometrics (the length and width of certain body parts) and the sclerotization (and to a lesser extent coloration) of the exocuticle....this goes for a lot of scorpions.

The coloration of the telson is even variable in Pandinus imperator, but in Heterometrus spp.that is a less usefull character.
Look up a description, measure it and look if the size falls in the adult range. Scorpions are measured from the tip of the aculeus (stinger) to the edge of the carapace (head) , so without pedipalps (claws).

A picture would also help.

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
sorry but i dont have a functional camera bcuz my cam is currently well... broken and i also cant upload any images to my pc. but i will measure it and look if it is already an adult.

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
i have measured my scorp!:):):) and it is approx. 5 inches so is it a mature adult yet?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Go to google, type in "Heterometrus revision", download the paper and have a look. You'll find more interesting stuff in this paper ;)

megabytex3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, you can actually tell it by its size. It would be much better if you know its instar or number of molts. H. longi usually matured when it is already 7i..i hope that helps:D