A few questions..

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I searched and asked, and got a lot of answers but I need more than just one persons input. I want a first tarantula that is out in the open quite a bit, more often than others, one that is less likely to cover the WHOLE cage in webs to the point where I can never see her, is real nice looking, isn't real hard to take care of, and is quick at breeding and laying eggsacs? I don't want a first tarantula as a disappointment that doesn't come out after a few months. What do you think?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I searched and asked, and got a lot of answers but I need more than just one persons input. I want a first tarantula that is out in the open quite a bit, more often than others, one that is less likely to cover the WHOLE cage in webs to the point where I can never see her, is real nice looking, isn't real hard to take care of, and is quick at breeding and laying eggsacs? I don't want a first tarantula as a disappointment that doesn't come out after a few months. What do you think?

A rose hair tarantula will be good for you, its docile. usually always out in the open.

However the downside to this tarantula is that it goes on random fasts sometimes for weeks or months at a time. and it doesnt do much of anything...

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like a Grammostola aureostriata to me...

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I'm liking the Grammostola rosea, it's got a nice look to it, it's cheap, and seems easy to keep up. I'm going to wait for a few more inputs and I'll decide then. Although, I'm sure later on I'll get a much more colorful attractive T :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how about b / smithi -- or L /parahybana
both those have typically more effective urticating setae. not saying that they don't makea good first... but they do have BAD itching hairs for some ppl. male B. smithi hair absolutely kills me

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lasiadora parahybana can grow to be HUGE and fast! I love that! Although what kind of bugs me is that they can be some what aggressive. The Brachypelma smithi sounds awesome also, I'm going to lean more towards this one until I find a better T. Thanks for your help all, lets keep the inputs rolling in :D! Gosh I love this forum haha.

@ Caco - I'm going to be getting a female anyways, for when I get more into the hobby and learn more, I have the ability to breed her. Thanks for letting me know that though :D

Last edited:

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. Smithi seems like a good choice. I never owned one, but my friend did. She always stayed out in the open, and was very docile. My friend could hold her's, and she never experienced any problems with the hairs. B smithi's also look very beautiful. Of course, every tarantula has a somewhat different personality.. Goodluck with your first T!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what about an A. geniculata.. Im no expert though... just seems to be a good display T. A little skittish, nothing major though. There are more knowledgable people here that may disagree..

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. geniculata is a good T, they can be a little skittish, but they don't hide much. Most of the ones that don't hide much also don't move much. It is pretty much a call the media event when my big female rosie moves, but she very seldom hides.
G. aureostriata has already been mentioned, as has B. smithi. Really you could look at almost any tarantula in the Bracypelmas, or the Grammostolas, or Aphonopelmas. Look on either Botar's website or Scott's, they both have really good pictures, that might help you.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay thank you guys, I narrowed it down to two T's, B. smithi and G. rosea..now..it's my moms choice, I sent her the care sheets, and this post so she can see everyones thoughts. Thanks again.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good luck with the - t - you get and then on to the next 2/ 4/6/ 10 / lol you get what i am saying lol -- phil

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to place another vote for G. aureostriata. They get pretty big and tend to move around more than a G. rosea. G. aureostriata are sometimes known to be bulldozers and like to rearrange the substrate in their cage. They are also better eaters than G. rosea. They also grow a little faster than G. rosea. Just my .02

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
John I would definately recommend the Brachypelma smithi or Grammostola aureostriata. You could also choose Grammostola rosea, but I'm not to sure youd be happy with this one. Alot of people call this T a "pet rock" because it does nothing all day. I like this T cause I like all Ts, but there alot of hobbyist that say its a boring T. I would definately go with Brachypelma smithi or Grammostola aureostriata.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, I don't even have a T yet and I'm already addicted..I'm on this forum 24/7..a lot of times even in the chat room :D Thanks again..If anyone has msn and would like to chat and give me some pointers, add Johnisriot@hotmail.com

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha very nice, I can still remember the day I went to the petstore and got my first T. I still have her today.