A few newb questions about pink toes

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The humidity hasn't been an issue. I've been able to keep it at 70% pretty easily. I didn't think a T would dig. Interesting.

If I take out the foam in the waterdish, isn't there a risk of drowning?
To combat the risk of drowning, i would just add clean rocks that you would use in a fish tank or that you get from the decoration section of a chain store.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you just have the one T you may be fine buying your feeders but this is a really cool way to do it for nearly free. It's pretty low maintenance and you don't end up with a house full of run away crickets chirping all night. My lizards also love these.

http://www.reptileexpert.org/blaptica-dubia.php

If you haven't yet do some searching for gut loading. (It's also good to do with your crickets.)

As for sitting around that's kinda their style. In the wild they sit and wait for something that looks edible to come by but like others have said they will eat when they get ready. Some just have more of an appetite than others.

I've heard a few stories recently of people getting a T and then having it molt shortly after they get it home. It's possible yours could be nearing a molt.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is the spider? That looks like a fairly large enclosure for a "somewhat young" Avicularia sp.

I have done fine without worrying about humidity so much. I just mist the cages every couple of days and they do well. The less you mess with them the better they do usually.

Good luck.

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
I agree that the enclosure is a bit big for my juvenile sized spider, but I am hoping it isn't beyond his awareness to handle. He has pooped twice now in the 8 days I have had him, so I am hoping that means he has managed to feed during my tenure as keeper. However, I did discover one major flaw in my terrarium - holes in the top!

Shortly after tossed a couple crickets in the enclosure, my wife noticed one crawling out the top. I did notice the holes earlier, but I thought that food would be blocked from reaching them by the styrofoam backing. I have sealed them off with a bunch of tape and hopefully that should do it.

Just be warned if you decide to purchase an Exo Terra Invertebrate Terrarium - Small.

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
So you are not 100% sure what specie it is?
I'm sure. Got it from Petco and they only sell 2 spiders - Grammastola cola and Avicularia avicularia.

On a more exciting note..... ZOMG!!! I saw my T feed!!!!

It was my first time witnessing ANY tarantula, much less my own, feed right in front of my face. Boy did it get my adrenaline pumping. And that was after he spent like an hour reinforcing his web hammock that he made recently. Quite a bit of activity last night! I am quite pleased.

I also did as was recommended and removed the foam from his water dish and replaced it with aquarium gravel.

I've also been watching a lot of T videos on youtube, many of them posted by user John3800, who mentioned that he is active on these boards as well. Quite a seminar on different enclosures! I definately see that mine is too big for my pet, but I now that I am aware of it I think I can make up for it and keep him fed and happy until he gets big enough for the tank to make sense.