A dream come true

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awwwwwwwww Teri this is so wonderfull, and Happy Birthday! I moved here to southern CA a couple months ago (Morongo Valley) and we got through "Check Point Charlie" on Rt 40 with my two ferrets in a pet carrier with no problems. They looked through the windows, and had to see my lovebird, but didn't ask anything about what was in the pet carrier box. I have 2 girls around 3 and 5 yrs old. They are like a cross between a kitten and a dog. A ferret is perfect for you! You are such a compassionate animal person. You shouldn't have any problems having her unless police show up for something else and see her. It is so weird that Petco and Petsmart sell ferret stuff, but its illegal to have ferrets. I mix 8 in 1 ferret food with Eukanuba kitten food to give my ferrets variety. Gotta make sure the ferrets get food that has high protein in it. You probably already know all of this though, and about ferret prooffing the house to protect her when she is out and about.

Sharon

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
good luck with your ferrets just beware any small crack or nook in your house and they will find it!

so cute = )
That's good advice. Also, they like to take naps. And where better than behind or under a huge immobile piece of furniture? More than once did I have to play the waiting game for our ferret to come out from under the big antique china cabinet in our living room! So, it's best to also limit access to those sort of places whenever possible.

I think the best way to ferret proof your house is to consider every single place that a ferret can possibly find to get into mischief and fix them. And then you fix the fifty other places that they find!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
She has free access... when I'm there to keep an eye on her!!!

It's funny, I've been through the California checkpoint so many times and they've only asked me one question: "Do you have any live plants or fresh fruits or vegetables?" Once, I took a huge bite out of a big juicy Granny Smith, and said, "No, just this one." And he waved me though!:?

I'm finding that I have picked the right pet. She has to explore every nook and cranny, but seems to have tired of my stuff. She hasn't stolen anything lately!:eek: She pokes her nose out of wherever she is when I call her name, so is easy to find. So far, she's been a dream.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
absolutely and incredibly adorable!! but any idea why they're illegal?
I'm under the impression that the USDA is embarrassed to admit they made a mistake in their eco-studies years ago.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're cute. They're pretty smart. But they just werent made to be household pets. They chew and they mark - and the only way to avoid that becoming a problem is to keep em confined - which isnt fair to them

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
They're cute. They're pretty smart. But they just werent made to be household pets. They chew and they mark - and the only way to avoid that becoming a problem is to keep em confined - which isnt fair to them
Mine does neither. The only time we confine her is when we aren't home. Trust me, her life is good!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I never had any problem with mine chewing or marking. On occasion he would back into a corner and do his business, but that was pretty infrequent. As long as they are allowed out frequently for play and exploration, and have toys to entertain themselves in the interim, I don't really see where keeping them confined at night and while you are away is that big an issue. Especially with the mansions you can buy for them these days. I've seen some pretty elaborate set-ups for sale.
But keeping them as a full-time caged critter like a rodent or bird is undesirable, of course.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Allrighty then, let's see if THESE pics work:

Ain't she sweet?:rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm going to have to go to a cybercafe just to see these pics =P

do you think i could play with your friend at the bbq? i love animals and have always wanted to see what these things are about!

these and sugargliders... i want to choke whoever illegalized them =P

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer