a couple quick videos

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are a couple handling videos we made with fun facts.

Envy

[YOUTUBE]1NHN8E27cQE[/YOUTUBE]

Solace

[YOUTUBE]BigSIcgP4Nc[/YOUTUBE]

I hope you enjoy them!:D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great vids, very clear and educational :clap:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep saw you Tweet'ed the smithi one and watched it :)

Good stuff and great looking beasties!

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome vids. Had no idea Ts could taste with their feet.

Two questions:

Why do they (and other spiders) leave a silk trail when they walk?

And I thought the T. Blondi had the worst urticating hairs?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome vids. Had no idea Ts could taste with their feet.
Thank you, glad it had info you didn't know!

Why do they (and other spiders) leave a silk trail when they walk?
My 'guess' would be that it is like a trail of bread crumbs, so they know where they've been. Purely a guess though, since I can't ask them.;)

And I thought the T. Blondi had the worst urticating hairs?
T. blondi does have the 'worst' hairs to deal with/ be around(We don't have one and never will), but the B. smithi is the 'worst' because it has all 5 types of urticating hairs and has a greater chance of allergic reaction. That part could've been worded a bit better, but he gets a tad nervous.;)

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh I see.

How many kinds does the T. Blondi have?

I actually didn't know there were 5 types either :x

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh I see.

How many kinds does the T. Blondi have?

I actually didn't know there were 5 types either :x

I don't honestly know how many the T. blondi has. It isn't a species we are interested in owning and therefore haven't done any research on it, so I only know the basics that I pick up out of the threads I read.

The different hairs look pretty neat at a microscopic level. I'll have to see if I can find the source where I found that information again(lost a bunch of stuff when we had to reformat our hard drive:mad:), so I can give you a link for it.:) They look like they have thousands of little hooks, so it helps you understand why they can be so irritating.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus irminia

Bashir

This fella was in a jumping mood and yes I would call it jumping, because it prepares for it and then catapults over the edge of Mr. Gone's hand. (last minute or so of the video) So, this is also a video to show the behavior a T exhibits right before it lunges/ jumps down. It remind me of a cat about to pounce. You can't really prevent him, just keep him at a safe height and over something soft. :)

[YOUTUBE]G-w2w96LLFw[/YOUTUBE]

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The different hairs look pretty neat at a microscopic level. I'll have to see if I can find the source where I found that information again(lost a bunch of stuff when we had to reformat our hard drive:mad:), so I can give you a link for it.:) They look like they have thousands of little hooks or spikes, so it helps you understand why they can be so irritating.
LirvA ~ Here is a link for that

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelma hentzi

Yoshimi, she is easily our easiest T to handle. So much so, that this video stretched out to almost 12 minutes and there are fun facts with this video as well. Her golden carapace is picked up really well, it actually looks metallic; and I also got a good close up of her spinnerettes. I love the zoom on the camera!

[YOUTUBE]NRikFdZWPyQ[/YOUTUBE]

We plan on making videos like these for all of our Ts we can, so I hope you guys enjoy them! Hopefully I will add a very PURPLE freshly molted A. purpurea tomorrow!:D