A Change of Heart

lilgirlcarter

Arachnopeon
Well, recently my bf and I split and I was going to sell his T's (Avic Avic, GBB and a B Emilia) and when I got home today the GBB had molted again. It is beautiful. I have decided to keep on with the hobby and take care of them. I fed the Avic for the first time and will be getting looonnnggg tongs as feeding with tiny tweezers was a tad scary lol. :eek:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. DO NOT be afraid of the A. Avic! Just toss it a few crickets, and when you handle it, don't breathe on it or it might poop :D

toidy

Arachnosquire
LOL! can't remember how many times have i been darted by an avic spp with it's poop..:)

lilgirlcarter

Arachnopeon
LOL! Now I am definitely going to just leave the crickets at the door and slowly (holding my breath) walk away. :D

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why don't you just give them back to your x bf?

Would be pretty cold hearted to sell tarantulas that belonged to an x after breaking up imo.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Would be pretty cold hearted to sell tarantulas that belonged to an x after breaking up imo.
....Did you not read the first post? She said she's going to KEEP them. :embarrassed:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same difference.

Keep, sell, same thing.

Give them back.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey, the first T in my house was "my boyfriend's" and i bought it. did OP state who bought them? it might be perfectly in her rights to keep them, regardless.

OP, the first T in my apartment was for my (now ex)boyfriend. i was scared to death of them when the subject first came up, then i just decided to work on it (didn't help i had a few run-ins with psycho rosea at my old job either). the first couple times interacting with them, the nerves and everything, it was kind of an ordeal. then i got comfortable and ended up being more fascinated with her than he was and i just rolled with it. now he is gone from the picture, i am at 22, and i plan on adding some more critters to my collection, maybe pedes or trues.

don't let your guard down but don't be afraid. hopefully they will grow on you, since you are posting on here and stating you already like the GBB. also, welcome to being sole caregiver to your Ts :)

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
Maybe he didn't want them? When my ex and I split, I got the cat, dog, T. I wouldn't just assume that she's keeping (or selling, or whatever) them against his will.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, what you want to do is get mad and send them to me. That'll teach him!

Seriously though, see how it works out. You may find a new hobby that you love.
Welcome aboard.

lilgirlcarter

Arachnopeon
Wow. I have missed so much. lol. The ex moved back in with his mom and couldn't take them or his pastel ball python with him. I didn't even know he was going to leave them until he sent me an email saying sell them or give them away. Now, I just have to do some research so I can keep them happy and healthy.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I'm not cold hearted. That's pretty presumptuous. :embarrassed:

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

;) lol

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL! Avic poop is not anythin to worry about and unless you startle it, it shouldn't happen. Mine did it for the first month of bringing it home, but once it got settled in it was fine. I hold her at least once a week when I clean out her tank and she just walks over my shoulders. I LOVE watching her legs move side to side as she walks and checks for footing along the way. DON'T be afraid!

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I think it's awesome that you want to keep them :) Your little Avic probably won't shoot poo at you for no reason all on his/her own. You'd have to be harrassing it somehow, maybe holding it.

I've had my T's for more than a few years now and I still get scared or surprised or whatever sometimes. Unexpected attacks to the tongs or accidentally scaring them and they run up the side or something. I'll get little tickles on the back of my neck after things like that. But yea, like you, I think their beautiful and interesting. Especially my Brachys and Avics.

Im really glad you decided to keep them! Lots of good information on the boards here :)

lilgirlcarter

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the support, yall. I'm gonna look for a bigger enclosure for the gbb this weekend. He/she is getting so big and fast.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the support, yall. I'm gonna look for a bigger enclosure for the gbb this weekend. He/she is getting so big and fast.
Nice and welcome aboard! :)

Keep the GBB cage dry except for the water dish. They try to climb away if the substrate is moist. You'll have no problems feeding - GBB are pigs with eight legs. Premolt takes quite a while but boy do they make a colorful spectacle when they start molting/finish.

Ooooo!! Do you have pics of the cage? They're crazy webbers! :D

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow. I have missed so much. lol. The ex moved back in with his mom and couldn't take them or his pastel ball python with him. I didn't even know he was going to leave them until he sent me an email saying sell them or give them away. Now, I just have to do some research so I can keep them happy and healthy.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I'm not cold hearted. That's pretty presumptuous. :embarrassed:

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

;) lol

Ah, I apologize. You should have mentioned that in your original post imo. "My bf and I split and I was going to sell his Ts" came across to me as vindictive and I had assumed you were refusing to give them back to him.

Glad that's not the case. Definitely keep them, they're fascinating animals.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Ah, I apologize. You should have mentioned that in your original post imo. "My bf and I split and I was going to sell his Ts" came across to me as vindictive and I had assumed you were refusing to give them back to him.

Glad that's not the case. Definitely keep them, they're fascinating animals.
You shouldn't have jumped to unflattering conclusions, imo, nor assumed anything, imo, but all's well that ends well.

lilgirlcarter, I'm jealous that you inherited a GBB! I've just gotten into tarantulas myself, and after months of lurking on this board, that's the one I want! Congrats on your new hobby!

lilgirlcarter

Arachnopeon
Nice and welcome aboard! :)

Keep the GBB cage dry except for the water dish. They try to climb away if the substrate is moist. You'll have no problems feeding - GBB are pigs with eight legs. Premolt takes quite a while but boy do they make a colorful spectacle when they start molting/finish.

Ooooo!! Do you have pics of the cage? They're crazy webbers! :D
He is a very voracious eater and a great webber! I got to witness his first molt from start to finish and it was amazing. He looked so big and beautiful when he finally made it out. As soon as I get everything situated I'll upload pics.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Glad that's not the case. Definitely keep them, they're fascinating animals.[/QUOTE]

I see now how that sounds and I should have clarified. lol. :)