A. chalcodes starve? Yeah right!

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I know every T is an individual, but, when I got my pretty little Mexican Blond (spider, that is...), I expected the 2.5"er to be picky about food and maybe not eat for weeks being in new surroundings. That's what just about every description of these beauties includes.... "they may go long periods without eating, maybe even months." Well, today marks 1 full week and the pig has inhaled 4 large crickets already! Down to the last stinkin' drop - I can barely locate the boluses when it's done. Then again, it's only been a week.....it'll probably not eat another bite for a freakin year.

D-Man

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
lucky you....my A chalcodes has not eaten in about...oh....6-7 months I'm guessing!
She still looks great though :)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
lucky you....my A chalcodes has not eaten in about...oh....6-7 months I'm guessing!
She still looks great though :)

Is yours an adult? Mine is a juvenille or sub-adult, so this could explain the feasts....probably will slow eating habits after it reaches adulthood.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey have you guys tried handeling your A.chalcodes? Just curious I have a sling about an inch now just curious to know how they handle as adults and or sub adults is it anything like rosies?????

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well.....according to the movie "Eight Legged Freaks", as they grow their appetites do too.
I get all my scientific info from that movie:p

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
A chalcodes

no, we don't handle her, she handles us :D :D
Here is my dad and Tristania....she is my most docile spider...

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Awesome pic!!!

Originally posted by blackacidevil
Well.....according to the movie "Eight Legged Freaks", as they grow their appetites do too.
I get all my scientific info from that movie:p
I haven't put any of my T's on my head yet - they'd probably feed well in my mop....

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Hell yes!!!

Originally posted by D-Man
Is yours an adult? Mine is a juvenille or sub-adult, so this could explain the feasts....probably will slow eating habits after it reaches adulthood.
Yo, Spike, I handle my A. chalcodes a few times a week. I also have 3 slings: two B. smithi's and one B. boehmei - I don't handle them 'cause they're too small and darty. My Mexican Blond is only about 2-1/2" now, but very, very docile. The pig just ate ANOTHER large cricket today. Yum, yum.=D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Holley!
I love that pic!

D-Man,
When I first got my chalcodes, she ate absolutely nothing for close to three months. Her abdomen shriveled up, and she was lethargic. Then, on a whim, I put a chunk of beefheart in with her. Now, she eats, and has started plumping up.

Spike,
Mine is VERY handleable. Total and complete sweetheart...
Peace,
Gillian

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude, it's only been a week. Also, your juvie, just like every other juvie, eat like a pig. Adults will eat less.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi all,

I also have an A. Chalcodes that hasn't eaten for alwhile now. I'm figuring it's been about 8 months. Since she stopped eating, she has become very defensive too. She still looks healthy, but I worry about her not eating. She does'nt want to be held, she will bring her front legs up and thump them down and flick hairs at me. I guess I have no choice but to leave her alone and see if she gets over the phase she is in.:?

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My sling about an inch is pretty skittish will she grow out of this?