A brood to soon, H judaicus

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been hearing all kinds of racket from my scorpion tanks over the last few days. I thought that it was my Rhopalurus junceus tank, i just reintroduced a female to the group after she had a brood. To my surprise it was coming from my hottentotta judaicus tank. When removed the lid I saw a 2i baby sitting on mom's back. I removed 3 from the tank and there are at least 2-3 more that are hiding in the cork. The thing that surprises me is that she just had babies in mid Dec. That would make about 60-70 days between broods. I've been breeding these guys for a while and this is by far the fastest any of my girls have been able to produce a brood. Usually it's more like 120+ days for me. I know that their can be a lot of variance between indiviuals based on food, temps, ect, but really that seems way to fast. Anyways I was totaly surprised and unprepared.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been hearing all kinds of racket from my scorpion tanks over the last few days. I thought that it was my Rhopalurus junceus tank, i just reintroduced a female to the group after she had a brood. To my surprise it was coming from my hottentotta judaicus tank. When removed the lid I saw a 2i baby sitting on mom's back. I removed 3 from the tank and there are at least 2-3 more that are hiding in the cork. The thing that surprises me is that she just had babies in mid Dec. That would make about 60-70 days between broods. I've been breeding these guys for a while and this is by far the fastest any of my girls have been able to produce a brood. Usually it's more like 120+ days for me. I know that their can be a lot of variance between indiviuals based on food, temps, ect, but really that seems way to fast. Anyways I was totaly surprised and unprepared.

John

That's quick for those kind of Buthids. It happens sometimes with Tityus magnimanus, those guys are like rabbits on steroids, but for a Hottentotta that's real quick indeed.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's quick for those kind of Buthids. It happens sometimes with Tityus magnimanus, those guys are like rabbits on steroids, but for a Hottentotta that's real quick indeed.
I'm used to my Hj having babies every 9 or 10 months. I wonder if she held some embryos somehow, two months seems a long time however. I don’t know if they even do that. I have another female that was bred around the same time. If she has her babies in a week or so I think it can be contributed to more food warmth whatever.

Another quick breeder is Tityus silvestris. They produce babies every 3 or 4 months. Small brood but lots of them.

John

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
possibley the reason she had a brood so fast would be she mated with a male and the babies were on her back some scorpions have been know to mate with their babies on there back

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
possibley the reason she had a brood so fast would be she mated with a male and the babies were on her back some scorpions have been know to mate with their babies on there back
Yes, but don't you think he would have probably noticed that as a breeder? Hottentotta's are known to produce iteroparous broods, so it could also be that she inseminated herself again right after parturition, but even then, this would be very fast considering the average embryonic development...

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just an update. My second female just had another litter. That makes two females that produced litters much faster than I would have anticipated. This one was about the same period between births. About 70-80 days.

Thanks John