a black spot?

illcosby

Arachnopeon
sorry for the noob question but i just noticed my B Smithi is starting to develop a big bloack spot on his back. does this mean its getting ready to molt? thanks

illcosby

Arachnopeon
cool thanks! so should i do anything differently? i've read that crickets and harm the tarantula while it is molting so when should i stop offering it food before it molts?

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's still eating you can feed it until it stops. If it eats regularly and refuses food take the food out for a couple days. If it still doesn't molt try again. All of my Brachypelma slings start with a black or dark spot that progresses to the entire abdomen before they molt. The tend to have short 2-3 pre-molt periods at most when they are that small and short recoveries which get progressively longer as they mature. It's always exciting and just a little scary when molt time gets near. I've had 12 molts in the past 10 days and actually caught about 5 of them in the act which is always fascinating. Good luck with getting to watch.

---Jen

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When my B smithi was that size, and he got a shiney hiney, I stopped feeding him, no need to stress him out. He took about a week from complete black booty to molt. Just insure he has a water dish at all times.

good luck-

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup, definately looks like a molt should be coming up real soon. I would remove and prey items and maybe mist the side of the container a bit, don't soak it though. I wish you the best of luck for a successful molt. Molts are always exciting! :D

illcosby

Arachnopeon
thanks for the warm wishes and the advice everyone! this is my first molt (as a T keeper) so we'll see how it goes... i've got my fingers crossed haha

Last edited: