A Big One

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I really want a goliath of some sort.. I have two t's and love the hobby I have a 20 gol long tank sitting empty and have decided to get a "big" T. The only problem I have is...... Which One? Help. I am a look but not touch kinda guy when it comes to my t's . I dont really want a terribly aggressive T but want something that will be a center piece for my collection. I have heard that T.Blondi Isnt a good T to have due to being difficult to keep. Sooo any suggestions?

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That really depends, the Theraphosa available currently are not that difficult at all to keep. As far as large specimens that may just be the cheapest route. There of course are larger specimens such as Lasiodora parahybana, difficilis, Phamphobeteus antinous, but as adults (large 8"+) they are quite pricey. It depends on your budget I suppose!

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a big fan of the C. crawshayi. They're about 8" mature, and thick. Very substantial bodied spiders. I love em <3

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a big fan of the C. crawshayi. They're about 8" mature, and thick. Very substantial bodied spiders. I love em <3
It just takes a million years to get that size...
L. parahybana gets huge but is admittedly not that pretty.
Maybe a P. regalis?

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I really want a goliath of some sort.. I have two t's and love the hobby I have a 20 gol long tank sitting empty and have decided to get a "big" T. The only problem I have is...... Which One? Help. I am a look but not touch kinda guy when it comes to my t's . I dont really want a terribly aggressive T but want something that will be a center piece for my collection. I have heard that T.Blondi Isnt a good T to have due to being difficult to keep. Sooo any suggestions?
I don't find T.blondi difficult to keep.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I absolutely love my Lasiodora Parahybana. I got a it in February an it has already tripled in size. It loves to eat and be out on display. I also think it is a great looking T!{D

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like others said, I would go with L.parahybana. They are pretty inexpensive and grow up to 11 inchs I believe. Mine is about 3 1/2 inchs. It never hides, and it eats like a pig.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 20-long is a big tank. There are only a few terrestrials that reach a size where such a tank wouldn't be a complete waste of space and effort, even dangerous for the T. Since you don't want something with "attitude" I'd say your choices are fairly limited.

Pamphobeteus sp.
L. parahybana
Theraphosa sp. (although they can be pretty defensive too)

Be prepared to spend a whole heck of a lot on a 9"+ adult of any species, if you can find one at all.

I've always thought the "I need to find a spider to fill this tank" approach was a completely backwards way to look at buying a spider but hey, everybody's different. Me, I decide what spider I want and then I sort out the housing. That's because I collect spiders, not tanks.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not get a peice of plexi glass and divide the 20 gallon in half with some silicone. Then you can have two fairly large tarantulas in the same tank. Just make sure its impossible for one to get into the other side.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like others said, I would go with L.parahybana. They are pretty inexpensive and grow up to 11 inchs I believe. Mine is about 3 1/2 inchs. It never hides, and it eats like a pig.
Not that I doubt that's possible, but not 11". More like 9" with some (few) reaching 10". The largest I have ever seen was a 20 year old girl that was 9.75" ALMOST 10", other than that a lot of 8" with some 9"+ here and there.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll go for the current theraphosa species being sold as "goliath bird eater" really mines not bad at all.... not the biggest but in the 8.5" range and picked her up for well under 100$ at a local pet store.

Temperment isn't any worse than when i first got my B. vagans... Just gotta get used to how they move and react.. and it's getting easier by the day.

If you have a good cash flow, Megaphobema have some good sized and beautifully structured

and a few on the asian arboreal site gets pretty good sized too.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreeing with Moltar. Decide on the T first, then worry about the housing.

A 20-long is a big tank. There are only a few terrestrials that reach a size where such a tank wouldn't be a complete waste of space and effort, even dangerous for the T. Since you don't want something with "attitude" I'd say your choices are fairly limited.

Pamphobeteus sp.
L. parahybana
Theraphosa sp. (although they can be pretty defensive too)

Be prepared to spend a whole heck of a lot on a 9"+ adult of any species, if you can find one at all.

I've always thought the "I need to find a spider to fill this tank" approach was a completely backwards way to look at buying a spider but hey, everybody's different. Me, I decide what spider I want and then I sort out the housing. That's because I collect spiders, not tanks.

Adalrich

Arachnopeon
Agreeing with Moltar. Decide on the T first, then worry about the housing.
I believe briarpatch10's problem was that he wanted to put his empty tank into good use, not that he just wanted a new spider. ;)

Based on what I've read and heard, I'd go for a Lasiodora parahybana as well. They get large, and are easier to take care of (not to mention much better looking ;P) than Theraphosa blondis.

I've also got a an old aquarium laying in my cellar. It's dimensions are 70x35x40 cm (or 29,5x11,8x17,7 "). Would it have enough space for an adult Lasiodora parahybana? I'm buying a 1 cm L. parahybana sling soon, and it'd be nice to know whether the old tank would have some use in the (probably distant :D) future.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe briarpatch10's problem was that he wanted to put his empty tank into good use, not that he just wanted a new spider. ;)

Based on what I've read and heard, I'd go for a Lasiodora parahybana as well. They get large, and are easier to take care of (not to mention much better looking ;P) than Theraphosa blondis.

I've also got a an old aquarium laying in my cellar. It's dimensions are 70x35x40 cm (or 29,5x11,8x17,7 "). Would it have enough space for an adult Lasiodora parahybana? I'm buying a 1 cm L. parahybana sling soon, and it'd be nice to know whether the old tank would have some use in the (probably distant :D) future.
Well, I was just throwin' that out there. :p

Enjoy your LP sling, though, they're adorable when they're little... Mine is a tiny pig.