A. bicolor

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I just transferred my 2 new black fattails into their new homes. My heart is still racing a little. Man, those things are FAST & MEAN!!!:eek: Anyhow, they're friggin' awesome!!!
The female I received is possibly gravid. Can anyone give me some tips as far as set up? I do have a care sheet, but experience helps. Besides, I want to maximize the possibility of a healthy brood if she is indeed gravid.
Here's what I have for both the male and female. They're in med. sized petpals which are about 10" deep. I have about 2" of 50/50 sand and peat. Also, I included pieces of cork bark for them to hide until they decide to burrow. (They are burrowers right?)
Only other question I have concerns the venom. I know they're not as venomous as A. australis but how do they compare in toxicity? Any bite reports available?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I also received 3 Hadrurus arizonensis and several more C. exilicauda, so I'll probably be hanging out in here a bit more often.:D

Later.
Atrax

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been keeping A. androctonus for about 3 years, and got one A. bicolor a few months ago. I keep him exactly as I keep the yellow, with no problems.
A critter keeper (probably about 2 gallons, but with lots of floorspace) filled with 2 or 3 inches of sand. Every so often I put a ceramic water dish in there as well.
You should be all set with what you have.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't have the experience with this species to give you any advice you won't find on a care sheet. I did, however, just receive five of them. I have them setup in my standard tupperwares I use for most of my larger racked specimens. They each have a packed sand substrate, a water dish and a rock to hide under.

As for fast and mean, they are nothing compared to the P.transvaalicus I also got. Much bigger, equaly fast and MEAN!!!! They have incredibaly sized stings and use them with a LOT of force. Don't worry, folks, I'll take pictures soon.

Cheers,
Dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bicolor are still mighty hot...

They may not be the hottest as the Deathstalker is suppossed to have that title but you still don't want to take a sting from a bicolor. Getting tagged from one would be quite serious and yes they are capable of putting a man down so take it seriously and don't risk it. That said they are easy as crap to keep and since they can't climb smooth surfaces as long as you use your brain and some good long tweezers they aren't really that dangerous. Just don't forget that the capability is there and you'll be fine.
Phil

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not the greatest pic but...

Here's a bicolor of mine. This one is about half grown. enjoy
Phil

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry you didn't like the pic.:( I just thought it was crazy that the guy was holding the transvaalicus.
Thanks for the links earlier though. Thanks for the pic too Phil.

Atrax.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Oh, I definitely liked the pic from the "demonstration of INSANITY" standpoint. :) It just isn't a particularily beautiful specimen compared to the two I just got. They are a much purer black.

Does anyone here free-handle their more potent specimens?

Cheers,
Dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A. bicolor

Congratulations on your A. bicolor. I plan to get one in the next month or so. :)

Last edited:

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't click your lid, they hate that s _ _ _. Also, you could get stung by your Androctonus bicolor but it could be a dry tag. So you might think: "Oh, that wasn't so bad, don't know what all the fuss is about". Well it's because the Androctonus didn't inject any venom. The next time you might have X's over your eyes. If you live, your hospital bill will make you wish you died.

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
Bicolor are amazing! Like they were created on a sci-fi movie set! Where did you get yours? I've been looking for some, in the states.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Bicolor are amazing! Like they were created on a sci-fi movie set! Where did you get yours? I've been looking for some, in the states.
Hit up @Roy again
He doesn't have A. bicolor but he has some A. mauritanicus 2i-3i for a good price
IMO just as cool and just as mean too lol

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've kept bicolors - they are nice, sure, but maximum size on them is quite small. The mauris and australis look like tanks in comparison to the smaller and sleeker bicolors (I prefer the stockier, robust look).

Plus mauris are definitely way more communal as adults, which is a great plus in my book. Saves space, and terrariums.

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
I just really love the keels on the bicolors and I like the big punch, packed in that tiny body. I'm partial to fat tailed species in general, so if it has some extra junk in the trunk, it's coming to live in a deli cup mansion, at my place.:)