A. avicularia

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
question:

i got a (purported) a. avicularia at a recent exotic animal show for $8. unfortunately, the dude that was helping me didnt know the latin name, but it was obvious to me that it was a pinktoe so i got it anyways. well, today i took her out and she's so cute and jumpy--she almost prances around! then i noticed that she has some green coloration on her carapace and some reddish hairs on her rump. is this typical for an a. avicularia or could i have possibly been sold another species? i thought that the a. avics were mostly just fuzzy black... i dont have any pics, but if that would help, i could try to get some.

kellygirl

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have yourself an Avicularia Versicolor by the sounds of it. You are lucky those are great spiders.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh!! that would be just great! =D

that's actually what i had been thinking, but i dont wanna get my hopes up just yet... any second opinions?

kellygirl

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Actually, hate to burst your bubble, but my Avicularia avicularia has the green and red tones that you're talking about. They're not excessive, but are certainly there.

-Bryan

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If I remember correctly, (I have no actual owning experience with Avics of any type), Versicolors lose the pink toes as they get larger.

Basically, if it has pink toes, it's probably an Avic Avic, if not, it may just be a versicolor.

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
My Avic Avic has the colors you just Described... Looks like "Eternals" :)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you've def got an A. avic.
Mine have the greenish blue tine to carapace and redish, almost purple butts....
they are great spiders though, arn't they!