A. avicularia vs. A. braunshauseni

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can someone tell me the difference between these two? Or how to distinguish them from one another. They look the same to me.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the braunshauseni gets way bigger! But im not sure about the looks of them!

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very Similar Looking Sp.

I will show you a Pic of the New One I am getting.....When I get it soon...:p

They get MUCH Bigger than regular Avic Avic's :eek:

*Edited* This is the Girl I am arranging to acquire soon......:}......I have seen her B 4 in person:

Also: It is my personal Opinion....that Hobbyists sometimes own "Goliath" Pink-Toes, and do Not know it...or have specimen long enough, 2 find out :cool: Patience...... {Their toes are generally Pinker I feel}

Last edited:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As mentioned A.braunshauseni can reach leg spans of up to 7" or so where A.avicularia will on grow up to about 5" leg span. I have a A.braunshauseni grown on sling here I bought at the same time as a A.azuraklaasi and both were exactly the same size when I bought them both have been fed the same kept the same and the A.braunshauseni is already half an inch bigger.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another Pic, after molt - Via ~ Code Wilster {nice guy}

I wanted to purchase her in October.....Now I get to still :D I have seen other specimens like,
& once owned a Peruvian Pink
~ A. Urticans Female, that was as Big as Hand. This Girl will be Cherished :p

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to know some very in-depth taxonomic features that separates (or even synonymyze) Avicularia "avicularia" and Avicularia "braunhaunseni".

Color means nothing.. nor does size.

Any reports/papers? And yes, I have read through Ray's older posts on the Tarantula Store concerning Avicularia..

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to know some very in-depth taxonomic features that separates (or even synonymyze) Avicularia "avicularia" and Avicularia "braunhaunseni".

Color means nothing.. nor does size.
Well, then.....This will mean nothing to you = I wasn't trying to prove anything to ya ;P LMK when you figure it out, and it'll mean just as much 2 Me - Dragon Lover :rolleyes:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, then.....This will mean nothing to you = I wasn't trying to prove anything to ya ;P LMK when you figure it out, and it'll mean just as much 2 Me - Dragon Lover :rolleyes:
I never said that you were trying to prove anything, my post was not actually directed towards you or anyone else in particular. :)

It is a very serious question.

Leave dragons out of it! {D :D

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...Lived by the Sea...

I was just sharing Pic and Opinion, from examples I have seen over years....You don't see specimens this Lg. often, and my understanding is: That there is Data on them, they are larger, have differences, and they are bred & sold Overseas regularly. I was not prepared to search-out and link extra info - I'll try harder as I search for Male :}

I am excited :razz: to finally get one of these "Biggies" - Finding a MM will be a special challenge for me....like tying my shoes :rolleyes:

I also wish Avics were sorted out more thoroughly.....I should do some further, actual research on the Genus, reguarding Sp. "Goliath" - there is data on them - they do exist - However, I am no Entomologist.

Not too many True {Metallica} "White-Toed" - Pink-Toes in Hobby now-a-days, either = All mixed up :cool:

I have a Dragon 2! He is Majical & named: Puff :D