A.avicularia QUESTION (??) - You KNOW you want to reply :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey eveyrone!

got all my new T's in their new homes, though my old G.roseas hate their new substrate. Goddamn bitchy T's :) I hate that -- you spend all day sunday cleaning the cage and getting the new substrate ready, make it all nice and then BAM, the T's hate it.. At Any rate

here's the avic question:

got a new adolescent avic (around the size of 2 or 3 quarters, nice colours, will be amazing when s/he molts). However, s/he hasn't spun any web or anything. S/he hangs out at the top of the cage, and all that, and i *think* S/he's eaten one cricket, and i put another one in there, in thebottom of the cage...

But there's no web. No strands of web. no bits of web,nothing. She just hangs out in the top of the cage, with the occasional trip to the bottom or the roof.

What gives? should i be getting worried (it's my first arboreal).

also, i dunno if this is normal for the species, but when i mist the cage, she runs around the sides of the cages (in circles, cos its a circular cage). I dunno if she's happy about the water, or what. Im not misting her of course, just the sides.. its kinda cool though..

so in summary:
1) the non-web -- what's up with that?
2) crickets??! should i wait till she webs it up?
3) the running water dance thing -- normal?
4) any cute girls want to come to minneapolis with me? :)
5) its spring, quit snowing already!

much thanks -- i can take some pics of her/him or the cage -- i think its a pretty dope set up .. got a nice amount of substrate in the bottom (doesn't need it really),a little water dish -- a little plant with some sticks (which are about an inch in diamter) going from the bottom of the cage to near the top, and in between the plants for the web..

PLEASE HELP!!
much thanks!

peace,
D A V E

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
OK, so how big is the container?
How tall, how wide?
You said the T was tiny, maybe her home is too big:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here's 2 pics of the avic in question -- (1) of the cage and (2) of the size of her/him...

thanks for the help!

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as the T looks and acts healthy.I don't thinkthere is a problem.Sometimes it just takes a couple weeks to get used to there new home

Bryan

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last pic -- note the T on the roof -- good comparison shot, bad quality :)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
1) the non-web -- what's up with that?
2) crickets??! should i wait till she webs it up?
3) the running water dance thing -- normal?
4) any cute girls want to come to minneapolis with me? :)
5) its spring, quit snowing already!
1) I wouldn't worry about it at all. All of the Avicularia I've owned take a week or more before they'll set up a web (if ever). Just be patient with it. Be happy you can see your pinktoe right now ;)

2) You can't watch your spider all the time. (s)He may be heading down to eat when you don't look. If it's hungry it'll eat. If not, it won't. Don't worry too much about it.

3) Very normal. It's just like blowing on a tarantula. They're going to spazz out.

4) C'mon. Any girls? =D

5) I dunno. I've never seen snow before. :?

-Bryan

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, so this has nothing to do with your T, but hey....

anyways, snow.... it's highly overrated, had what... 3 and a half feet about two weeks ago... :rolleyes:

so, good luck with the avic

-Joshua

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
5) I dunno. I've never seen snow before.

NEVER? wow, I've been here in Michigan my entire life
and I love the snow. Snow is great as long as the temp isn't
too low.

@Rugby, I think your T should be fine, the house looks good.
Lay off the misting a bit, it may be too wet, some like it on the
dry side.
Given the time your T will settle in, when did you get him/her?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice with the 3 feet. We only got about 8 inches yesterday where im at...

i LOVE snow, which is why im moving out to minneapolis, but come on, almost 5 feet from February 1st to Februray 28th.. it's not alot, but its WAAAAAY more than most people got this whole damn year!!!

and 34 inches one night?!!!

Hot damn.. its beautiful andi gotts my truck, and my T's are warm, but its time for spring.. no more snow :)

peace

um. oh yeah T content:: T's rule :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah youse in Denver didnt get snow all year pretty much huh? My buddys in Aurora. He said its been the WORST year from snow in a long time .. i guess they're saying it's gonna be dry as hell this spring and summer out there again....

see, time to move into some REAL snow areas, like the Lake Effect regions (buffalo - 7 feet in 3 Days, erie down to pittsburgh - 33 inches in 12 hours.. ) :)

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah... i don't think i'll be moving anywhere colder... i only weigh 135-140 lbs.... that's not a lot of insulation for cold.. i like temperate, somewhere that i can open all of the windows in the house and not have all my fuzzy friends freeze to death... open windows year round... that would be nice...

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As for the snow, you can have it.

As for the Avic., It is most likely perfectly fine. I have an A. Metallica that I got over a month ago and it hasn't made a web either. It just hangs out also, but I guarantee it will make a web when it comes time for it to molt. The container seems fine for now looking at the size of the T. Good Luck:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!

i'm off to buy m o r e T's now -- i found a couple of BEAUTIFUL a.versicolors, but then again -- is there a versicolor that ISN'T a beaut?

peace!