A. avicularia problems.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello I am just going to start by saying this isn't a "Why is my avic on its back?" kind of question. My 4"A. avicularia molted twice within 4-6 months which I thought was kind of cool, and didn't notice any immediate problems so I wasn't worried. Now she has refused food for about a month and a half since she molted. I started to get concerned. I just now I decided to examine her. I took her out of her cage and after a second noticed two white spots. Both ON THE SIDES OF HER EYES! They do not look good. Like the skin is too thin or something. Her abdomen is shriveling up. It is almost wrinkly. She is dehydrated and she won't drink or eat. I don't really know what to do. I'm not sure about ICU, but thats all I can think to do. The spots are almost red on the outside. Almost like sores. If anyone has had an experience like this or advice please let me know. I'm really at a loss. She was my second tarantula and I would hate to lose her. Any advice is greatly appreciated. (sorry if somethings don't make sense)
Billy

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We need pictures to make any comments

Is she/he Wild caught or captive bread?

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Was it sexed by a molt? If you had not been saying "she" I would have guessed MM.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks leggy and the abdomen looks proportional if its a male, As for the white spots if its symmetrical its probably not a parasite or some sort of disease. And they don't get tibial spurs until the ultimate molt btw so that is not a good indicator unless you think it's mature.

Keep offering food, keep the water dish full.

Is it as active as it use to be? Does it respond to being breathed on or prodded with a paint brush?

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks leggy and the abdomen looks proportional if its a male, As for the white spots if its symmetrical its probably not a parasite or some sort of disease. And they don't get tibial spurs until the ultimate molt btw so that is not a good indicator unless you think it's mature.

Keep offering food, keep the water dish full.

Is it as active as it use to be? Does it respond to being breathed on or prodded with a paint brush?
It is a confirmed female! Let me make that clear. Its abdomen is small because it will not eat or drink. I offer it food and drink and it ignores it. It is still active and relatively responsive. Should I put it in ICU?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
take it and try and pinch grab it and drop water onto its fangs looks like its dehydrated then set its mouth in a water dish keeping the but out im think a icu is unnecessary right now

also try feeding dead prey she might be more interested

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Hi!
I Hope She gets better.
How is your humidity?
Does she hang out on the enclosure glass a lot?
My A. Avic stretches out and is more active when his humidity is kept up.
he scrunches and curls up a little if not enough humidity.
I have a humidifier rigged to my enclosure to keep it around 80% on the hygrometer.
You can also try aiming and squirting water on the edge of the enclosure and letting it run down so it will drip right in front of her mouth. My Avic does not mind this at all.
I also had to add a water dish "up in the clouds" I hot glued a plastic water bottle cap up in the corner about 3" down from the top and filled it to the brim with water. My avic prefers this water dish to the one on the substrate.
good luck let us know how she is doing.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 on the humidity question.

If it is still fairly active then that is a sign it's doing alright.

If it slows down more then I'd say ICU it.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes I have. & no tibial spurs or "Boxing Gloves". Will she be OK?
They dont get big tibial apophysis like the sub famile Theraphosinae, they are extremly small.
Looks like a mature male to me but you could help us with some more pics

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They dont get big tibial apophysis like the sub famile Theraphosinae, they are extremly small.
Looks like a mature male to me but you could help us with some more pics
Its pedipalps tips are still pink in the picture. I am going to guess he is right about the sex.

Can you describe the white spots? OR if you have an actual digital camera(not a cell phone cam) try taking a pic on the macro setting(little flower) of them if you have not.

If its abdomen looks wrinkled, then that is a dehydrated tarantula that needs to be re-hydrated. The quickest way to do that is to put it in a moist ICU, but if the white spots around the eyes are mold or something like that I don't know if that is the best idea. Hopefully some experienced keepers will log in their opinions, because that's what you need right now. Until then, putting water directly into the Ts mouth has been known to help. I haven't had to do it, so I can't give you any pointers. Then try and put its mouth directly in the water dish. It will not drown if you do this, but hopefully it will take the initiative to drink. Good luck!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The quickest way to rehydrate a tarantula is to give her a big waterdish and that is also the least stressful way imo.

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
I Would say put her in an ICU she Looks so dehydrated I would have assumed you had a MM on his last leg

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really want to make it as clear as can be, IT IS FEMALE. Please just stop suggesting male. Please. I gave it some water and I will bump the humidity.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I really want to make it as clear as can be, IT IS FEMALE. Please just stop suggesting male. Please. I gave it some water and I will bump the humidity.
Good Job on water and humidity I hope she drank it.
I hope she gets better. I do not want to worry you... but I am sure you are already really worried.
The tarantulas keeper guide mentions things about mites which can sometimes be round and sometimes attach themselves to more sensitive areas.
I found 227 Pages online as a preview under google books I searched for white tarantula parasites. PM me if you need help finding it.
Seems like an excellent book I am going to purchase it.
Do the white things move?
I do wish/hope it is just poo because I know avics like to poo, or even substrate?
Good luck.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That will probably work.