A. Avicularia or A. Urticans?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I always assumed it was an Avicularia, but then I saw a picture (Can't remember where exactly) of a A. Urticans that looked fairly similiar to this one and stated they darken up with age. So, opinions?

It's normally much darker in color, but the fluorescent lighting I used to take the picture really brought it out..

Attachments

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
yeah nice pic! You have an Avicularia urticans because they tend to be more fuzzier than Aviculartia avicularia
Good Luck with your urticans!

James

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I don't know about that James. The pictures I have seen of A. urticans, they're more black and purple. Take a look on Rick West's site. The one in that pic looks like A. avicularia to me. My A. urticans sling looks completely different from A. avic and it's only about an inch.

Scott

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Scott,
I have heard that urticans are brown and a cinnimmen color to them, they are also really fuzzy, and it is hard to identify avics because of how many there are, so i guess you can be right, but am not sure! thanks,

James

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

thanks Scott! That really helped!
(a.ariantica-BROWN)
(a.urticans-BLACK+PURPLE)
(a.avicuaria-BLACK+PURPLE+BLUE)

Thanks Scott!

James

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
I always assumed it was an Avicularia, but then I saw a picture (Can't remember where exactly) of a A. Urticans that looked fairly similiar to this one and stated they darken up with age. So, opinions?

It's normally much darker in color, but the fluorescent lighting I used to take the picture really brought it out..

check out Kelly Swift's site..there is a T that looks just like yours.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm...I have two adult females that are supposedly A. urticans, and they came from what I consider to be reliable sources. One was Glades Herp (when Todd was there) and the other was from Tommy's Spiders (Frank Somma's partner). These are very large avics, 6" inch leg spans at least. They don't look much like those Rick West photos, however. I wish they did, mine totally lack the purple! I wonder if they get duller as they age (mine were WC adults), or if mine are just something else. I got them when Peru was still open...$20 for adult females. Those were the days...

Wade

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, like I said -- she's (hopefully) much, much darker in person. It's only when I put the fluorescent lighting on her that the blue comes out.

Kinda like H. Lividium does -- but I'm not sure if that is really all that important of a detail..

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
For what it's worth, here's a picture of an A. urticans we found in Peru. I'd hesitate to use color as a guideline for identifying any Avic, but since Rick ID'd it I can say with reasonable authority this is the genuine article.

Joy

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Originally posted by Joy
For what it's worth, here's a picture of an A. urticans we found in Peru. I'd hesitate to use color as a guideline for identifying any Avic, but since Rick ID'd it I can say with reasonable authority this is the genuine article.

Joy
nice pic Joy!

James