A. Avicularia isn’t eating?

aviation

Arachnopeon
I’ve had a juvenile A. avicularia for probably two months now? When I got him he was missing two legs and a pedipalp. I’ve tried feeding him multiple times now but he gets scared by his food and won’t eat. I’m gonna try to get mealworms next to see if he likes that better. He hasn’t really lost any weight and doesn’t seem to be in premolt. I’ve watched him drink water as well. Other than that he seems to be adjusting well and content. He’s made a great web hide for himself but my only issue is getting him to eat. Will be attaching photos. He’s probably the size of a quarter. I’ve been feeding him gut loaded crickets. (or at least trying to). Any advice would be great! This is only my second time having an arboreal tarantula and my first one didn’t have this issue.

P. S. despite not eating he has basically stayed the same size he is in the photo the entire time I have had him. Maybe slightly smaller but not noticeably skinnier.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I’ve tried feeding him multiple times now but he gets scared by his food and won’t eat.
tarantulas only need so much food per molt cycle....once theyve plumped enough, they no longer require food until after the next molt.
I’m gonna try to get mealworms next to see if he likes that better.
Mealworms arent the best feeder for avics....red runners and crickets are far superior in getting a feeding response...but yours doesnt need to be fed at all and you should just hold off.
He hasn’t really lost any weight and doesn’t seem to be in premolt.
Ts dont lose weight unless they molt...regardless of how long they fast. Your sling is VERY fat.
He’s made a great web hide for himself
Generally avics do most of their webbing prior to molting, so the fact that its webbing is a good indicator that its preparing for a molt.
I’ve been feeding him gut loaded crickets.
Gut loaded is a reptile term that really has no place here in the t world, much like the term power feeding.....feedders for ts just need to be fed, they dont require the loading of any specific vitamins or nutrients for the health of the t.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah your Avicularia is quite plump anyway so there’s no need to worry about it not eating. In general this really never needs to be a concern for a multitude of reasons as was mentioned above!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve had a juvenile A. avicularia for probably two months now? When I got him he was missing two legs and a pedipalp. I’ve tried feeding him multiple times now but he gets scared by his food and won’t eat. I’m gonna try to get mealworms next to see if he likes that better. He hasn’t really lost any weight and doesn’t seem to be in premolt. I’ve watched him drink water as well. Other than that he seems to be adjusting well and content. He’s made a great web hide for himself but my only issue is getting him to eat. Will be attaching photos. He’s probably the size of a quarter. I’ve been feeding him gut loaded crickets. (or at least trying to). Any advice would be great! This is only my second time having an arboreal tarantula and my first one didn’t have this issue.

P. S. despite not eating he has basically stayed the same size he is in the photo the entire time I have had him. Maybe slightly smaller but not noticeably skinnier.
Its FAT 🙄🤣😂

aviation

Arachnopeon
oh my gosh okay thank you so much for the info! i was getting worried but i feel better now. also that’s good to know about the crickets! i’ve been giving them a high calcium diet but if it’s unnecessary then ill stop doing that. thank you!!!

cold blood

Staff member
i’ve been giving them a high calcium diet but if it’s unnecessary
completely unnecessary.....that stuff is specifically for reptiles, which have vastly different nutritional requirements.