A. Avic w/Stupid Owner

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2 1/2" A. Avic that is ready to molt any day.

Well when I first set up her cage, I put in cork bark but I also had a really cool piece of cholla skeleton wood that I put in there as well. SHe adopted the cholla as her home and crawls inside of it. She has completely webbed up the top like a canopy tube, there is no entrance or exit from her webb, completely sealed from what I can tell. She has a leg that got injured in Feb. that she does not use, so I am a little nervous with this molt and I am afraid she will try to molt inside the cholla, which is pretty narrow. Should I just let her be, keeping a good eye on her, or should I mess up her home and remove the cholla?

Do you think I could get on Dave Letterman with Stupid Human Tricks? =D

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderGirl
I have a 2 1/2" A. Avic that is ready to molt any day.

Should I just let her be, keeping a good eye on her, or should I mess up her home and remove the cholla?

Although I have a hard time understanding my Avicularias' behavior, I assume that they know what they're doing, even if it makes no sense to me. If they were living in the wild, there would be no one to fix their setups and make them look right.

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: A. Avic w/Stupid Owner

Originally posted by jesses
Although I have a hard time understanding my Avicularias' behavior, I assume that they know what they're doing, even if it makes no sense to me. If they were living in the wild, there would be no one to fix their setups and make them look right.
I agree with you completely and very rarely do I interfere with their behaviors. But I don't think (don't know for a fact) that they would have cholla wood to crawl into in the wild.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another point is - in the wild the survival rate HAS to be unbelievably lower than captive spiders.....Perhaps husbandry might have an incredibly valuable role in a captive spider survival.....

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. I've never heard of a T who had the ability to choose it's own spot, choose a place that is too small for it to molt in.

Scott