A.Avic questions.

richie_irl

Arachnopeon
Ok Ive just picked up my first Arboreal yesterday(which are next to impossible to acquire here in Ireland and have a couple of questions.

1.Is a custom made container 2ft x 1ft x 1ft too large for a 2.5 inch LS Tarantula.The T seems quite happy in it at the minute.

2.I have the temp quite cosy at 70 degrees and am wondering if this is ok for an Avic???

3.How in Gods name do you feed an arboreal.Crickets are ground dwellers and this morning I tried to feed the T a cricket using a long tweezers.The T pounced on the cricket but the cricket jumped back on to the floor of the cage and the T then gave up.Anyone got any strange ways of feeding arboreals.I was going to tie a cricket to the top of the cage and hope that that would work.Other than that should I just pop in a few crickets and hope that it finds them.

Sorry for all the questions---Its just that my other T is a G.Pulchra and is quite different to keep than an arboreal.
Thanks
Richie.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would think thats a little big for a spider that size, but as long as there are plenty of coverage w/ wood or vines or something, dont' worry about it.

Don't worry about the crickets... just throw them in.... They'll find them when they want them.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Devildoll is right, just drop the prey item in the cage and the spider will have no problem finding it when it gets hungry.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
Hah ok calm down man does your avic have a cork bark?for starters temp sounds fine as for all my t's are fine in my bathroom
it will be ok also as i have learned humidity on the avic's have been highly overated thankyou to everyone who told me on this site!just mist very little on the sides your new avic will like to drink off the sides most likely mine does still provide a water dish of course back to the crickets i have 2 avic's and they both feed well mine are in 2 seperate med size kritter keepers both with a cork bark from bottom to top hor/ver, works well with peat /vermiculite,hope i helped some-jason

richie_irl

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replys.I ll calm down now and not worry about the feeding issue.There is a huge chunk of cork in the cage.And Im in the process of putting in artificial vines.So everything should be ok.
Thanks again.
Richie.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by richie_irl
(which are next to impossible to acquire here in Ireland
HA! tell ME about it. At least you are close to the country that has the most breeders in Europe, what should I say????

richie_irl

Arachnopeon
Yep we`ve 2 shops here and all they usually sell are Chiles and Rosies.The Pulchra arrived by fluke one day so I bought that to be different from Everyone else and the Pink toe has been ordered since January.
BTW what heating methods do you enthuasists here use in your Ts cages.Im using 15 watt red bulbs as heat mats never seem to work for me.The temps in both are stable at 70 degrees and Ive no problems so far.
Thanks
Richie.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed all my arboreals by just tossing the crickets in the enclosure. The spider will come down to get them or the crickets will climb the bark eventually.

Andy

richie_irl

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone who replied to this thread.I dropped in a couple of crickets last night and within a few minutes the T had eaten one of them and the second one is gone this morning.So all my worrying about the T not finding food was all for nothing.

But just one more question(sorry for the most basic questions)How long before this T should start building a webbed enclosure for itself?????
Thanks.
Richie.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by richie_irl

But just one more question(sorry for the most basic questions)How long before this T should start building a webbed enclosure for itself?????
Thanks.
Richie.

Richie.
I had an A.versicolor that was my first arboreal and had the same worries about feeding,like everyone says just toss them in the T will find them when its hungry.

Mine started to web itself an enclosure about 2 days after I'd had it. One night no webbing,next morning big webbing between the bark and the tank wall.

Chid

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
that really isnt a stupid question i asked it myself also it took maybe less than a couple weeks i figure it wanted to adapt to its new surroundings also if you dont mist there enclosures for awile but leave a water dish top'd off they should start some webbing i jus went and looked at one of my avic's and she has built an amazing web the other jus a few pieces of web here and there it jus stays around on the top of the cork bark,take care-jason