A. avic climbing trouble

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I used to have an 2 and a half inch A. avicularia, he passed away a couple months ago. I was holding him and he crawled up my arm and on my back, then he jumped from my back, to the floor. I'd say it was at least a 5 feet fall. Anyway, after that, he started to have trouble climbing the plastic wall of his container. I do know that the fall is what killed him, I'm just wondering if the fall is what gave him climbing trouble or did something to him?

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
If he landed on his feet it's hard to believe it didn't do damage on a 5 ft drop.
That might have hurt his climbing but i doubt that killed him.

Probably died of unexplainable ways.:(

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
well i would advise you to not handle a tarantula standing up but back to the topic yes it was what gave him trouble that would put lots of force on his feet and legs sorry for the loss :(

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
If he landed on his feet it's hard to believe it didn't do damage on a 5 ft drop.
That might have hurt his climbing but i doubt that killed him.

Probably died of unexplainable ways.:(
1 the fall did hurt him...
2 how would a 5 foot drop not kill him? thats more then a meter!
3 i know avics die randomly but not if they just landed from 5 ft

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics are light body T's and tree climbing species at that they can take fall unless you were on wood floor or something then I can see it getting hurt.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you know for certain the fall did it? Did it lose some limbs, leak fluid, etc? I'd be surprised to see a fall like that kill an arboreal species unless it was forcefully flung at the floor.

Maybe it came into contact with some chemical while on the floor?

Climbing issues can also be indicative of an uncoming molt with avics.

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how long after the fall did it die? I have an avic avic that I've had for about a month. It has never been able to climb the side of it's enclosure since I've had it. It can climb bark and stuff just not the smooth surface, I'm thinking mine is just due for a molt. Mabey yours was due for a molt? did it lose its climbing ability suddenly right after it fell?

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Actually I think he did make some contact to a chemical but it wasn't on the floor

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Maybe he broke a few legs? Even though arboreals are more resilient than other Ts, there's still a possibility of getting hurt. That guy who screamed, "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!" could have easily ruptured his throat, or something worse could have happened if a different person, if said person wasn't lucky.