6in of DEATH..."usumbra"

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
Ok this "death" and she is 7yrs old and has lived her whole entire life in the same cage.. for the simple fact she wants to kill anything that comes within 3ft of her. And she is not afraid to comeout during the day and has been a surprisingly great display T.

Please excuse all the FLAMES other members have left.

Last edited:

supsativa

Arachnopeon
thanks.. yeah the picture was taken probally a week after her last molt.. Actually that molt was the first one in almost 2yrs/....

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what the heck is she on calci sand??? the agony of it all
that stuff should be outlawed

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
um, wow. b-e-a-utiful T.:clap: hope mine turn out that pretty...:rolleyes:

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That calci-sand can't be comfortable or stable for her to be walking on. Look at how her back leg is sinking into it. Though it is a nice contrast and really makes her color pop...I would change it. Tarantula's get no benefit that I know of from calci-sand...why not just use recommended substrate?

It is a very beautiful OBT...makes me want one, but I have blacklisted this species for now...haha, baby steps to the fast and crazy.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
That calci-sand can't be comfortable or stable for her to be walking on. Look at how her back leg is sinking into it. Though it is a nice contrast and really makes her color pop...I would change it. Tarantula's get no benefit that I know of from calci-sand...why not just use recommended substrate?

It is a very beautiful OBT...makes me want one, but I have blacklisted this species for now...haha, baby steps to the fast and crazy.
I actually have been using the Calcium sand for about 4yrs now for t's, and scorps and never had an odd death or molt problem.. this stuff actually holds moisture pretty damn well and is very easy to clean up.. Sometimes thinkin outside the box isnt to bad:eek:

reasons why i shouldnt change it

1. <edit>
2. she is 6in.. must mean her enviorment aint to bad.
3. there is no sand in her burrow. only outside of it..
4. im not everyone else..

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually have been using the Calcium sand for about 2yrs now for t's, and scorps and never had an odd death or molt problem.. this stuff actually holds moisture pretty damn well and is very easy to clean up.. Sometimes thinkin outside the box isnt to bad:eek:
I'm not saying you can't keep a T on calci-sand, but it definately isn't anything a T would be walking on by choice. T's are very light on their feet and would much prefer stable (or more stable) ground under them than straight sand. I am sure every step the T takes causes some type of movement in the sand which probably diminishes agility, movement, and stealth...though it may not be enough that you notice...I bet the T does. Do your T's with this substrate spend alot of time standing on decorations, or climbing/standing on the sides of their enclosures?

reasons why i shouldnt change it

1. <edit>
2. she is 6in.. must mean her enviorment aint to bad.
3. there is no sand in her burrow. only outside of it..
4. im not everyone else..
Okay...well...

1. It is a naturally aggressive T...do you think it's gonna be polite when eating?
2. Just cause she made it to 6" doesn't mean she isn't stressed, or couldn't be happier...
3. If it isn't in her burrow...maybe she doesn't like it...just a thought.
4. It's not about what everyone else is doing...it's about raising the comfort level, and lowering the stress level. I could live in a box on the street like bums downtown...doesn't mean I would enjoy it.

Last edited:

supsativa

Arachnopeon
I'm not saying you can't keep a T on calci-sand, but it definately isn't anything a T would be walking on by choice. T's are very light on their feet and would much prefer stable (or more stable) ground under them than straight sand. I am sure every step the T takes causes some type of movement in the sand which probably diminishes agility, movement, and stealth...though it may not be enough that you notice...I bet the T does. Do your T's with this substrate spend alot of time standing on decorations, or climbing/standing on the sides of their enclosures?

the asain forest scorpions, and emps love it.. they spend alot of time on the sand. the usumbra spends all the time in here webbed burrow and minimal time outside of it. comes out at night... and usually can be found stuck to the side of the the tank somewhere. i also have a small whiteknee that spends all his/her time out in the middle of the tank laying/hovering over it. actually they seem to move really fast on the stuff.. and it actually helps them track the crickets movement..

supsativa

Arachnopeon

Okay...well...

1. It is a naturally aggressive T...do you think it's gonna be polite when eating?
2. Just cause she made it to 6" doesn't mean she isn't stressed, or couldn't be happier...
3. If it isn't in her burrow...maybe she doesn't like it...just a thought.
4. It's not about what everyone else is doing...it's about raising the comfort level, and lowering the stress level. I could live in a box on the street like bums downtown...doesn't mean I would enjoy it.
its not in her burrow because i added the calcium sand about 4yrs after.. before that there was really no substrate at all.. so what tells you that its stressed? the fact its been alive and growing for 7yrs? lol.. its ok man not everyone in the world was born from the same cookie cutter.. but its ok man i know what im doing ive been keeping inverts for almost 8yrs.. and never once lost a speciman due to keeper error.. so..

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the asain forest scorpions, and emps love it.. they spend alot of time on the sand.
Well, a scorpion may enjoy it...but I used to find scorpions in my sandbox when I was a kid...never found a T in there...prolly cause a T isn't a scorpion. :rolleyes:

the usumbra spends all the time in here webbed burrow and minimal time outside of it. comes out at night... and usually can be found stuck to the side of the the tank somewhere.
Sounds to me like she doesn't like it...

it actually helps them track the crickets movement..
I dont see how that's possible...but okay. It's your T...keep it how you want...

supsativa

Arachnopeon
Well, a scorpion may enjoy it...but I used to find scorpions in my sandbox when I was a kid...never found a T in there...prolly cause a T isn't a scorpion. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like she doesn't like it...

I dont see how that's possible...but okay. It's your T...keep it how you want...

so pretty much what your telling me is youve been to africa and seen the usumbra species in there enviorment and they were living in soil/peat/vermic mixtures .. lol.. dont think so.. t's are crafty species and can endure many changes...dude stop hatin and start appreciatin

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man lighten up. No one is out to bust your ass on this or anything. No one is trying to tell you what you can and cannot do, that is up to you my friend. Just one Q though, you said you didnt add the stuff about 4 years after? You've had her for what 7 years or so? Have you once changed her enclosure/cleaned it? Maybe that is why everything in her burrow is out, and maybe that is why you can see her stuck to the side of her tank every nowandthen. :? If you have changed it more than once since then, my bad. How you said it makes me think different. Either way and whatever standards you keep her by, shes a beautiful specimen.

Austin

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so pretty much what your telling me is youve been to africa and seen the usumbra species in there enviorment and they were living in soil/peat/vermic mixtures .. lol.. dont think so.. t's are crafty species and can endure many changes...dude stop hatin and start appreciatin
You've seen them living amongst green sand then? ;)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok this "death" and she is 7yrs old and has lived her whole entire life in the same cage.. for the simple fact she wants to kill anything that comes within 3ft of her. And she is not afraid to comeout during the day and has been a surprisingly great display T.

One more thing, what is that metal looking thing on the left side of the picture?

supsativa

Arachnopeon
Man lighten up. No one is out to bust your ass on this or anything. No one is trying to tell you what you can and cannot do, that is up to you my friend. Just one Q though, you said you didnt add the stuff about 4 years after? You've had her for what 7 years or so? Have you once changed her enclosure/cleaned it? Maybe that is why everything in her burrow is out, and maybe that is why you can see her stuck to the side of her tank every nowandthen. :? If you have changed it more than once since then, my bad. How you said it makes me think different. Either way and whatever standards you keep her by, shes a beautiful specimen.

Austin

i appreciate the comments.. her tank has been cleaned maintained as it should be.. she did not kick out the subtrate of the burrow.. the burrow was constructed before the sand was introduced.. half the tank consists her burrow the other half is sand and the waterdish.. now i will admit the enclosure might be abit small. but the real reason i think she is on the sides of the tank is there is not awhole lot of floor space left.. there is more room on the sides of the tank for her to move around.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
One more thing, what is that metal looking thing on the left side of the picture?
its not metal.. it was a cup that had been cut in half and 7yrs ago was intended to be her burrow.. she choose to make her own burrow around the cup. so nows its become part of her burrow. ive tried to take it out, but she has webbed it in really really good.. i noticed she started to actually dig in the sand in one particular corner where she also did some webbing. could possible be thinkin of adding to her older burrow.. possibly starting a new one.. now i dont think a stressed out T or one that didnt like the substrate would try something like that....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.