50 New Species of Spider and 1 Tarantula....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Great article, I enjoy reading about new discoveries. Just think, there are so many more untouched parts of the world that are probably swarming with new species waiting to be discovered. So fascinating.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Because just saying a spider is the size of a dinner plate isn't sensational enough....
Ugh, reporters. They state they aren't affiliated with National Geographic, but with such language they might as well be :shifty:
It's called staying in business by keeping people reading. Nobody outside of our little hobby circle cares that it's sensationalized. They wouldn't bother reading without it. It draws readership. Not necessarily the reporter's fault if their editor told them to do so either. They've got bills to pay and food to buy too :)

And honestly, what does it matter describing it that way? Facts are facts, I've got a few that are as big as my face and I describe them that way to people not in the hobby. I also describe my slings as fingernail sizes. *shrugs* No harm, no foul.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
"Raven discovered this aquatic variety of spider while waist-deep in a creek in the middle of the night."

That's the last place you'd find me in Australia after dark lol