50/50 Peat Vermiculite for spiderlings

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
I started mixing up a batch of 50/50 Vermiculite/Peat for my spiderlings, but had a concern. The vermiculite is pretty fine, almost like sand, and I was concerned that the dust from it would clog up the sipderlings lungs. It almost looked like a really fine silver dust when I mixed in the water.
Am I being too concerned? I'm looking for any input as I need to separate the spiderlings this weekend as they are starting to disperse.
Thanks very much!
Ralph

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
It almost looked like a really fine silver dust when I mixed in the water.
Am I being too concerned? I'm looking for any input as I need to separate the spiderlings this weekend as they are starting to disperse.
Thanks very much!
Ralph
I have Jungle Mix, which has vermiculite mixed with it. When I noticed the shiny silver particles, it took me a while to figure out that they were from the vermiculite. I had similar concerns about the book lungs being clogged or infused with such tiny particles. I don't know for sure, but consider this - I don't think Mother Nature would have created a burrowing creature with lungs that would be vulnerable to tiny particles of soil.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just use straight peat, good moisture retention and wicked for burrowing.

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use 3:2 verm/peat, better moisture retention than just peat by far, still allows burrowing. Certainly never had a problem. I think Tranz made a very good observation :)