5-vs 10 gal for mystery t enclosure?

What size tank do you prefer?10 or 5 gallon

• 10 gallon

• 5 gallon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I’ve got a 10 gal unused(better lid plexiglass)but it’s doing fine in the 5 gallon tank I gotta figure out how to modify the screen lid. I just need to add some new substrate and clean some things up.
I seem to had misplaced the name tag totally can’t remember what it is . I have its last molt though saved in my bedroom. 5” dls spider .
Any help identifying it ?
I only have 1 5 gallon tank because 10 gallons are cheaper to buy. Only asking because the said tank I’m using needs a lot of cleaning beforehand.
135E8315-518E-4ABB-A0D9-6F5C915E323D.jpeg E53A5476-BEE4-41F0-9B3D-B5DEC2F99647.jpeg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I put my adults in ExoTerra Breeder boxes - large- no fall possible

but either is fine - 10 is often overkill

I’ve used 10 too

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I put my adults in ExoTerra Breeder boxes - large- no fall possible

but either is fine - 10 is often overkill

I’ve used 10 too
I was unaware they had tanks that short, thats cool. I’ve Infact lost Ts to short falls in the past, i had to redo every cage with deeper substrate 4 years ago. 1.5-2x rule legspan isn’t often enough for heavier Ts.
I got a 20 gal long those are shorter for a glass tank but it’s too big for any of my current spiders . I haven’t looked for 5 longs or 10 longs. If they even have them . Plastic shoebox are my favorite but they often aren’t clear enough hurts visibility. 4 spiders of mine are in these .
My klugi has about 5-7” of space from substrate to top of cage . I almost was going to give it only 4”. 186502AC-87CF-4213-84F9-905C49631950.jpeg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The legspan is not a science, People with more experience than I posted it, it's reasonable rule of thumb, But as you know unfortunately it's not perfect. My larger AFs can't climb. However if you have a T that wants to burrow, the breeders are not ideal for that. I use cork bark half round, slanted into the sub, and so far these past 10 yrs all is fine w/the ones in there. They aren't for every T, like GBBs, I give them more room to web otherwise their husbandry becomes a pain (if your GBB webs a lot, some don't)

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
The legspan is not a science, People with more experience than I posted it, it's reasonable rule of thumb, But as you know unfortunately it's not perfect. My larger AFs can't climb. However if you have a T that wants to burrow, the breeders are not ideal for that. I use cork bark half round, slanted into the sub, and so far these past 10 yrs all is fine w/the ones in there. They aren't for every T, like GBBs, I give them more room to web otherwise their husbandry becomes a pain (if your GBB webs a lot, some don't)
Yeah my biggest tank in use is for my phampho who despite not climbing I still keep sub deep. surprised it doesn’t burrow looks like it’s enjoying the hide.
But do large lasiodora need wet sub at all ? I gave my one that’s hidden in its hide a little water.
15 gallon of some sort . Man perlite is ugly in the lp cage . I need to mix it with top soil or coco fiber .
B78D7553-FD66-4ED1-883C-6D426F3FF0A0.jpeg 8CE2B4A9-81B4-4C76-9FF7-82A8491989CF.jpeg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never kept them- no T needs wet sub to my knowledge in captivity- wet is a relative term too

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Aim for an enclosure that's 2.5X the T's legspan in length, 2X in width, and 1.5 or 2X in height (for terrestrial Ts). For a 5 inch spider, a 12 or 13 inch long by 10 inch wide by 8 inch high enclosure will be good, and this would be slightly bigger than 4 gallons, so a 5 gal one is plenty IMHO.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Never kept them- no T needs wet sub to my knowledge in captivity- wet is a relative term too
Just slightly damp susbstrate I was told my phampho needed it when my dirt was bone dry because I stoped wetting the dirt , although it has a few water dishes one infront of its hide . Flush with the susbstrate. My curly hairs tanks have some damp sub near the water dish, I was considering adding more ventilation.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Beautiful spider you have there! I'm also curious about the identity. If its at 5" legspan, I also agree with the folks who have said that 5 gallons is plenty.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
@Ultum4Spiderz
Hey, I ran down on the number of messages I'm allowed to send, so I apologize for not being able to respond to your conversation. My current Ts are joint-owned with my family since you're right that it's tough to keep pets with my career. I don't take photos however since I have neither a camera nor a smartphone, so sorry about that! I don't have any pics.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
@Ultum4Spiderz
Hey, I ran down on the number of messages I'm allowed to send, so I apologize for not being able to respond to your conversation. My current Ts are joint-owned with my family since you're right that it's tough to keep pets with my career. I don't take photos however since I have neither a camera nor a smartphone, so sorry about that! I don't have any pics.
O well I’m sure maybe you’ll get pics someday if your family has a smart cat phone or camera haha. I just asked to get an idea what Ts you guys kept . You’re probably too busy anyways .. to get time to upload them & all that hassel gotta have your family do that for you. :rofl: No big deal just try and scowerr the crystal ball to figure out what this t actually is I’ll keep looking also?:pompous::lurking: I’ll keep her in the 5 gal and keep the bigger tank for whichever one of my other Ts gets it . Trying to decide if i should put a hide in there it never used the last one .

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
O well I’m sure maybe you’ll get pics someday if your family has a smart cat phone or camera haha. I just asked to get an idea what Ts you guys kept . You’re probably too busy anyways .. to get time to upload them & all that hassel gotta have your family do that for you. :rofl: No big deal just try and scowerr the crystal ball to figure out what this t actually is I’ll keep looking also?:pompous::lurking: I’ll keep her in the 5 gal and keep the bigger tank for whichever one of my other Ts gets it . Trying to decide if i should put a hide in there it never used the last one .
Let me think. I'm going to try to list off the top of my head what my mum is currently keeping. I live with her when I'm in her area, so I suppose the Ts there are my homies too...
M. balfouri, More LPs than I'll ever be comfortable with (mum collects these), I. mira, A trio of H. villosella, Pumpkin patches of various colors and patterning, a Curly Hair who behaves an OBT, a large A. chalcodes who's been around since the early 90s, and my favorites...
C. darlingi (SnootleBoon), C. Marshalli (PartyBoon), C. sanderi (ButtonBoon), and C. bracycephalus (YarmulkeBoon)

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Let me think. I'm going to try to list off the top of my head what my mum is currently keeping. I live with her when I'm in her area, so I suppose the Ts there are my homies too...
M. balfouri, More LPs than I'll ever be comfortable with (mum collects these), I. mira, A trio of H. villosella, Pumpkin patches of various colors and patterning, a Curly Hair who behaves an OBT, a large A. chalcodes who's been around since the early 90s, and my favorites...
C. darlingi (SnootleBoon), C. Marshalli (PartyBoon), C. sanderi (ButtonBoon), and C. bracycephalus (YarmulkeBoon)
very nice, and it’s a shame both my parents hate my spiders mostly my mom, if they had helped me out I’d have more for sure . Instead they want me to get rid of them , or as my mom said die off .. :sad: I’ll just have to get a job and buy more not much they Can do , maybe I’ll start getting ow again. Maybe if I try and get everything organized and don’t get hit by hairs often they might change their minds? And no roach escapes ( fingers crossed) hopefully… but for ow and nw that lack hairs they really got no reason to say-no to those . Don’t plan on getting a lot anyways . If I get a Job soon that may change there mind a bit too.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Updated the susbstrate added a tiny bit of coco fiber and mixed it around so softer stuff is on top . Found a beetle hiding under the bark , probably an escaped superworm. Didn’t have a ruler nearby but she looked bigger then I thought 5.5-6” and didn’t kick hairs . IMG_2087.jpeg IMG_2086.jpeg IMG_2080.jpeg IMG_2078.jpeg IMG_2082.jpeg IMG_2077.jpeg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I go larger on terrestrials. If you have the space, mine have used their full space and have no issues finding their food. You can do more with their environment that way as well.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I go larger on terrestrials. If you have the space, mine have used their full space and have no issues finding their food. You can do more with their environment that way as well.
Yeah surly it will go in a 10gal eventually but it’s been so sedentary sitting in that same spot always , I dug all over in one tank couldn’t find the second escaped super worm or ℹ could have used it for this t. I have another empty 10 gal but I gotta wait for a brick of eco earth to dry before using it my last of 3. If it’s what I think it is I’d expect it to get larger.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah surly it will go in a 10gal eventually but it’s been so sedentary sitting in that same spot always , I dug all over in one tank couldn’t find the second escaped super worm or ℹ could have used it for this t. I have another empty 10 gal but I gotta wait for a brick of eco earth to dry before using it my last of 3. If it’s what I think it is I’d expect it to get larger.
I'm sure you already know now, but I'd crush the heads of anything that burrows. Or use crickets or red runners instead.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I'm sure you already know now, but I'd crush the heads of anything that burrows. Or use crickets or red runners instead.
I have dubia instead of red runners more so because they look less like a pest species . As to not freak out the parents if one gets loose . Is it better to wait til they’re adults to feed off for larger Ts ? The males run like crazy gets a good feeding response, but they’re not as fat as big nymphs. I just wasn’t sure how to crush super worm head without killing them . :rofl: I assume a t can eat the beetle also ?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I just realized your T is way to big for red runners. I don't like to use roaches at all personally, though I know a lot of folks here do. Crickets work well for me as they move and they don't burrow (although they can hide in some tight spaces). I've used mealworms and crushed their heads, which absolutely kills them, but they still wiggle for a wee bit. My terrestrials will generally take them moving or not, with the exception of my GBB. I can toss a live one in some thick webbing for him and they can't get away before my GBB takes them, or if he doesn't want it, I can get it out before it's able to get through of all that webbing. I've used baby hornworms as a treat if I have enough hungry T's that will eat them all right away. They grow way to fast to keep around otherwise. I'd be concerned about the jaws on the beetle, so that would need to be crushed, too, and question how hard that shell would be. I don't have any experience with those, so I can't really say any of that for certain. Maybe someone else here can?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I just realized your T is way to big for red runners. I don't like to use roaches at all personally, though I know a lot of folks here do. Crickets work well for me as they move and they don't burrow (although they can hide in some tight spaces). I've used mealworms and crushed their heads, which absolutely kills them, but they still wiggle for a wee bit. My terrestrials will generally take them moving or not, with the exception of my GBB. I can toss a live one in some thick webbing for him and they can't get away before my GBB takes them, or if he doesn't want it, I can get it out before it's able to get through of all that webbing. I've used baby hornworms as a treat if I have enough hungry T's that will eat them all right away. They grow way to fast to keep around otherwise. I'd be concerned about the jaws on the beetle, so that would need to be crushed, too, and question how hard that shell would be. I don't have any experience with those, so I can't really say any of that for certain. Maybe someone else here can?
I know t fangs can puncture smaller types of stag beetles no problem , but is this tiny beetles armor thicker ? Best I keep it around unfed until the experts show up . To say that it’s safe ! :D If there’s even enough meat on this bugger too feed it off to make any difference.