48+ Hour Molt?

Casandra333

Arachnopeon
I don't know if I'm about to lose my Rose Hair T or if she's in the process of having the longest molt ever!

Rosey is about 15+ years old (purchased full grown 14 years ago) and had NOT molted in about 6 years. To my surprise, she molted had a successful molt about 2-3 months ago! Fast-forward to about a week ago and she started to act odd. I found her upright in, what appeared to be, a partial death curl. She's well hydrated and, other than the slight curl of her legs, looks GREAT. In any other circumstance, I would have just left her alone and figured she was going into a molt, but seeing that she had JUST molted after 6 years of nothing I figured there was NO WAY she'd molt again so soon and she must be dying of old age. I decided to change her tank to see if the moisture of the new substrate would help. When I nudged her and put her into a tupperware while I did the tank change she acted like she had DKS (which I'm NOW thinking was not really what was going on)...

A couple days went by and just let her be figuring that if this was the end, that she had a good run. Two days ago I found Rosey upside in a molting position! Heck-to-the-yes!!! Unfortunately, I had startled her by looking in her log hideout with a flashlight (thinking she was dead) and feel that I might have caused her too much stress! It's been 54 hours or so and she's in the death curl position (upside down). There's an occasional twitch of a leg, but that is it. I can't tell if she broke out of her carapace and I'm too afraid to move her to look.

In hindsight, I think her DKS symptoms may have been her body getting ready for molting and me <messing> with her while her skin was stiffened. I hate that I may have caused her so much stress, regardless if it was DKS or possible molting that made her act strange.

Anyway, my ultimate question is IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO? Should I check to see if she's cracked her carapace at all and try to assist? Do I just keep waiting?

Last edited by a moderator:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Sorry.. I also don't think this is a molt.. It could be old age.. G. rosea needs a few years to reach a fully grown stage.. So I'm guessing your spider was nearly 20 or past it already.. It definitely had a good run. Sorry for your loss.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could be old age, also just because they can live up to 20 or more years, doesn't mean they all will unfortunately. She most likely did not die of stress.

If your T just molted, it is definitely not molting again esp at her age.

Pictures would help if she's still alive? Though if her abdomen is quite large she is likely hydrated. I have owned Ts with large abdomen drink quite a bit however.

Rosies live in arid climates too, so moist sub is not beneficial.

Also, DKS is not a disease or anything. It's an internet myth.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If it is still alive there is really not anything you can do to help. Either it'll figure things out on its own or die trying. Hope for the best but expect the worst.

15 plus years is a pretty good run. Doesn't make it easier to let go, but at least it had a nice long life.