4 year old holds a chaco golden knee

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Well he asked if he can hold a T. So we brought out the chaco golden knee and he held it.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Cool. Your sling that size was calm enough to be held? All my little slings are darting little buggers!

Marga

jimip

Arachnosquire
mines about that size. i dont think it would be so cool with that situation.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a four year old daughter who shares quite an interest with me in snakes and tarantulas and at that age I would never let her hold any. She helps me feed them and water them but I am too concerned about the spider running and my daughter dropping it, or being bit and then having that memory at such a young age could turn her off tarantulas altogether.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a few spiders that my kids are allowed to handle. I have a 4" G.pulchripes that is super mellow. I get her out and onto the floor and basically the kids are allowed to hold her but close to the ground. My youngest is 6, then 8, 10 and 12.

I'm not against kids handling spiders, just understand the risks to both the kids and the spider.

That does NOT mean I'm going to pull out a super ornery gravid H.mac and let the kids play. But a mellow Avic, mellow Grammy... Sure!

Joe

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Ok the spider and the kid was in no danger. Both my wife and I were surrounding him. The spider is super calm and not flighty. And yeah I am not going to let him handle my P. Ornata.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok the spider and the kid was in no danger. Both my wife and I were surrounding him. The spider is super calm and not flighty. And yeah I am not going to let him handle my P. Ornata.
Hey Soda... You have my full support! Get them into the addiction early! My 6 year old kindergartner talks about the spiders all the time to his friends!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Soda... You have my full support! Get them into the addiction early! My 6 year old kindergartner talks about the spiders all the time to his friends!
I'm a bit worried about the reaction my daughter will get when she goes off to school and starts talking about "Kitty" and "Pink Lady" the big hairy spiders.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a bit worried about the reaction my daughter will get when she goes off to school and starts talking about "Kitty" and "Pink Lady" the big hairy spiders.
I have had to do some explaining during conferences, but most of the parents have asked many questions when they run into me. I do lots of volunteering at the school so I know many of the parents.

I love the attention! The fun part is when the parents that say they are scared stiff about spiders all of the sudden become curious. :)

txgsxr

Arachnopeon
Both of my children have grown up around reptiles and they have worked with them along side of me with all kids. Now that iv picked up this Avic they were both asking where I had theirs at. LOL

I have no problem with children working with any animals as long as it does not put either at risk and never alone.

My children are now 15 and 12 so they are able to work with pretty much anything they wish to. Already picking up more Ts so they can have atlest one each. And stop bugging me about it. lol

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Yeah my son was excited after we put the T up in its home. He asked if he can get his own. Wife and I explained to him when he gets older and can do tasks with out being told he can have one. My step daughter is 8 and only holds and helps feed T's and Geckos and my fish when we can visibly watch her.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
That's Snoogi Oogems my 1.25" G. pulchripes sling. Snoogi is maybe the most docile T we own and currently my favorite spider in our little collection. Hence the ultra cutesy name. LOL But if I hadn't been extra sure of Snoogi not darting (s/he moves slow, but I have seen it teleport once, so I know it can move!) and not hurting my baby boy, it would have never happened.

We talk to him about safety and not touching the spiders when we're not around. Not sure how much is absorbed just yet, but he was very careful not to wiggle too much or breathe on the spider and startle it and I was sitting right next to him. It was a cute moment. He was so excited to hold Snoogi that we had to take a quick picture. I'm very proud of my Boogers for being so careful! I wanted him to have a positive experience with our spiders. And this was a very positive moment for him. I've told him he may "have" one of my B. albos, but as with my daughter's spider, I am sole caretaker. :D Kids absorb things so quickly.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify a few things so that no one thinks we were being careless. And no, I don't handle my slings all that often. Snoogi just happened to pop out when I was checking on it and my son just happened to ask if he could hold it and I decided that it wouldn't hurt anything to let him hold Snoogi for just a moment.

And I am going to bed now. I've been running around all week getting xmas presents and other things. I need a break since I haven't had any time to post over here. lol

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
Aww nothings as cute as a tiny hand with a tiny T! I let my 2 year old hold a tiny rosie sling and they both did well. Some kids are just more gentle at younger ages and only the parent knows that.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
iv let my sisters hold mine, under restrictions of course, but one is 12 and the other 10...

They have held Avics, Grammys, and Brachys ...

From sling to adult's, never had any issue, and always they have enjoyed the experience, and ask about them.. infact they never shut up about them, they always want to feed them, they love everyone of them, They educate there school mates about them, and when i say educate i mean as in, there big hairy, cant take fangs away, and are capable of biting, and they eat crickets and so on... nothing major lol, but non the less, they take the shed exo, into science classes, there taught about urticating hairs and so on, by the teacher, i come in some times with a few spiders, and do my fair share of education for them

Kids love weird and wonderful animals XD

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a great way for kids to learn and counteract fears of spiders. It will give them a positive perception when they realize that they aren't the little killers everyone makes them out to be.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
So glad to get kids involved in the hobby! I can't even begin to handle any of my slings... so jealous you have one that was comfortable on a hand! I just rehoused an OBT sling today, and made sure I used the patented Tarantula Relocation Bag to do so. No way am I chasing down those little bitty slings with my great big mitts!!!

Marga

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice shot!! :clap: Handle away! My t's have been somewhat conditioned to it from an early age. Imop, it's better a couple days before or after meals and I guess it goes without saying to make sure you're low to the ground or soft surface, and the briefer the duration of handling, the better........:)

However, the eating part above doesn't leave me much window of room for handling my slings. {D