2 quick questions

MissIce

Arachnopeon
I am almost positive that I have a VERY gravid A. Avic . on my hands, which is a good thing because that was what I was shooting for. my first Q is... are there any distinct behaviors I should be looking for letting me know when she is planning on an egg sac?

The second is, Last night I was cleaning her tank and i decided to give her a little rub on the abdomen. She LOVED it!!! she stretched out all her legs and pushed her abdomen right back up at me. She even moved it around like "a little to the left.. ooo right there!" Is this strange? None of my others have done anything like it.

Thanks,

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I'm not real sure about your 1st question, but there are some here that I'm sure will answer you. I'll just wish you luck there.

As for your 2nd question, I don't really think the T loved the scratching. Avic's aren't able to urticate by kicking the hairs off, like most NW taratnulas. They way they do it is buy pushing their abdomen into the "attacker" and bubbing them in. Sounds to me like that is what she did to you. From the sounds of it though you haven't had any reaction like itchiness, which is good.

They are also known for shooting poop as a first defense tactic, in the general direction of your eyes. At least mine seem to be aiming for my face :( Looks like little white pellets...

Good luck on getting an eggsac! :D

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
As for your 2nd question, I don't really think the T loved the scratching. Avic's aren't able to urticate by kicking the hairs off, like most NW taratnulas. They way they do it is buy pushing their abdomen into the "attacker" and bubbing them in. Sounds to me like that is what she did to you. From the sounds of it though you haven't had any reaction like itchiness, which is good.
I agree with Mendi, she was probably trying to 'hair' you the avic way. BTW, why do you think she's gravid, did you breed her lately?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
good signs of gravid I think are aggresion voracious appatites gained wieght and she'll seal herself in her web hide if she has one and make a sac

Edit: btw this is all in my opinion my first breeding attempt doesnt seem to be successful, at least my first tarantula breeding attempt

sinsect

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out of all the times I've bred Avicularia spp., I've noticed that as they get closer to producing the sac, they'll spin a dense tube web, much like the webs they construct prior to a molt. If you see her doing any extra spinning, keep an eye out for that sac.

As for your second question, I've noticed a few of my T's respond to a "belly rub" in this way -- sometimes I think it's a grooming response (other times, it's quite possible that they're just trying to 'hair' you. lol).
HTH :)

MissIce

Arachnopeon
Darn I was hoping that she loved me. Exact opposite huh? lol

Yes I did have a male in with her about a month or so ago. I never witnessed any action but she sure is ROUND!!.

Thank you everyone for for your help.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Yes I did have a male in with her about a month or so ago. I never witnessed any action but she sure is ROUND!!.
Sweet! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You gotta post some pics though if she drops a sac!:)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully you get a sac. I agree about the urticating though, the only animal I know of to act like you described is a cat.

Andy