2" Juvi GBB hasn't eaten food in two months. Please help.

sp1derwife

Arachnopeon
I want to begin with saying I am very open to criticism because I desperately need help. I've had my GBB sling since around January. He was always a great eater, very big on webbing. I moved him into an 8x4x4 when he was 1.5 inches and he still ate well. he had a log that he burrowed under and webbed immensely. One night, someone I live with went to check on him without my permission and left his cage slightly ajar. This was enough for him to escape and I did not find him until 24 hours later, he was so well hidden. I do not spray pesticides around my house and he literally was only a foot away from his enclosure hiding so I know he didn't get into anything - chemically at least - that could hurt him (could not find this guy but he was in practically plain sight). Anyway, I put him back in his little enclosure. for the next week he almost seemed confused and would not go back in his burrow. Very strange. Only stayed on top of the log and was extremely close to the top of his enclosure, this made him even more skittish because he had "no place to hide". This picture is the only one I have of him pre-escape attempt. As you can see his really liked his log.
1713416968753.jpeg
Continuing, I decided to give him some hides and take out his log since he no longer liked hiding under it post-escape attempt. He escaped 2/14. Last feed 2/11. He molted on 2/12. That's important because everyone keeps saying "pre-molt" but he has not ate since his last molt. At least not in front of me. Back to what I was saying, I wanted to give him some hides so I put in a skull, since my previous spiders similar to him LOVED the random holes in it for webbing, and I also put a rock. Had to do something since he hated his old log. I had him in this since March. He wouldn't accept live food but would pick up prekilled food and put it in his web. Not entirely sure if he actually ate. He seemed like he wanted more vertical space though, and frequently would chill at the top of the enclosure. it was only 4" H, so I definitely wanted to move him into something taller to see if that helped. Also he had a water dish that he would actively drink from in this enclosure so he is def not dehydrated. Pictures here. His abdomen looks a bit small for my liking. These pictures were taken 3/31.
1713417344978.jpeg 1713417450242.png

So to present day, I moved him into a new enclosure two days ago. I am going to see if the increased vertical space helps. It is a 9 L x 6 x 6.5". More than half substrate and during all of these processes I never misted him. I only ever gave him a water dish. Humidity levels are fine. He just won't eat. Here is his current set up. His abdomen looks slightly longer/larger so he may be snacking and I don't know. But he definitely won't take live food and I frequently see food left behind. He is not lethargic at all, he still likes to web, and he is not dehydrated. Just refusing food. I know T's go on hunger strikes but I've never had a juvi do it. Let me know your advice, please he is my problem child and I have raised quite a bit of tarantulas. :(
1713417908807.jpeg 1713417967571.jpeg 1713417991332.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It looks fine but get a view above the container with the lid off . Too much clutter might confuse it and allow feeders to hide .🫥🦤

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Nice Look'n C. Cyaneopubescens.
I'm concerned about the possibility of the Rock falling,
That would be disastrous.
I would replace it with the original "Log" / Half Round Bark.

Last edited:

sp1derwife

Arachnopeon
Nice Look'n C. Cyaneopubescens.
I'm concerned about the possibility of the Rock falling,
That would be disastrous.
I would replace it with the original "Log" / Half Round Bark.
I had it pretty locked in dw, but I did take that out in his latest. Wood only, half cut like you said haha. Thank you!! I think he is handsome :)

It looks fine but get a view above the container with the lid off . Too much clutter might confuse it and allow feeders to hide .🫥🦤
Thank you for saying that. I will definitely get a pick in broad daylight. I don't want to bother him too much because he loves racing around his enclosure webbing things at night. He is denying all live food period though, hes SUPER skittish. Even in a smaller setting he's being weird about live food :(

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Other considerations - every time you make changes to the enclosure, the T will need a period to settle. This can take days, weeks, a month, more... But it would be the advice you see echoed "give it time to settle in" when people ask what's wrong with their new T. Just keep that in mind that you have no "control" to compare your findings to, the parameters to judge/lend any credence to now that everything has changed. Now you are monitoring for health problems and acclimating to a new enclosure. It will be harder to monitor for health problems if you are seeing acclimation problems. Does that make sense? Changes can be necessary of course you just need to keep in the back of your mind when you are observing your T.

Next - hydration. I deliberately squirt water drops onto the webbing near my girls, enough so that it makes a puddle, one especially is a little water puppy and drinks faster than I can squirt it. The other two may run off at the disturbance but I have seen them go back and drink. They have water dishes of course, but I don't trust them to use them. Also, if they get too dehydrated they won't eat.

I can't prove this but I believe escapes suck a lot of life out of them, so to say, especially if they made it to the other end of the house. I've only ever had one T make it that far, a mature male, someone who couldn't afford to lose any zest. After being recovered 24-36 hours later his abdomen was noticably smaller. This was 6 months ago, has eaten maybe thrice, he's still with me don't worry.

If it were me I would do my due diligence in making sure he's had an opportunity to hydrate and then leave him be for a few days. Consider trying a prekilled cricket.

These guys are hearty. Barring any erratic, uncoordinated movements or twitching I wouldn't worry. But also, don't stop worrying until it molts again 🤣 I say that with exactly one thing in mind... The mechanism of some insecticides is to prevent a successful molt, and you may not see symptoms before that.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
take all that junk out of its cage leave it one hide and add a water dish to its cage then leave it to settle. then i would make sure (by beat down your choice)that person never put hands on your property ever again

Last edited: