2-headed question about Big Grammostola and packages

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there, I'm wondering whether any of you have any experience of a Grammostola Actaeon (a.k.a 'Brazilian redrump' or 'brazilian goliath blah blah') ?

Have found them offered for sale in Germany, and supposedly they grow to be quite large, perhaps the largest of the known grammostolas.., although I can find close to no information at all on the Net, and the pictures that are available..well, lets just say that 95% of all G.Actaeon pics on the net are copies of Schumm's two.

So 1. What do you know about this species?

and 2. Is there any way to make packages resistant to cold ?
(I.e as in sending something from Germany to Sweden at this time of year..it's not very fun when there seems to be a whole lot of a bigger trade-community down there and it's Winter here...although I wish the germans would show a more international inclination and speak e-n-g-l-i-s-h..they haven't even got a good reason for not speaking english well like for instance japanese people do..I can't understand how you can be so german when you've already lost two world wars :p )

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bump : because : I'm counting on you people

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Vys,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I was waiting to see if anyone else had experience to share before I put my meager amount into the pot. I've only seen one subadult so I can't really say anything about how large they grow. I do on the other hand have two slings that are about an inch in size right now. Can't really tell you anything about growth rates, but they're decent eaters and I've been keeping them much like my adult rosea, just with a bit more humidity :) Not too much more though. They're currently in 8 oz deli cups with 8 prepunched 1/8" holes. I spray 1 or 2 times 1 or 2 times a week. That's it. The restricted ventilation, keeps the humidity up in the cup.

Sorry I can't be more help,

The subadult I saw was gorgeous. I was waiting for these slings to come around for a long time....

Scott

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahh ok, thanks for that at least deranged! I guess I can ask you all about the adult Actaeons in a few years, eh ? ;)

E-spiderworld has exactly this about actaeons :This is a burrowing species but will adapt to a tank with shallow substrate and a retreat. Life span is probably 20 years or more.

and no pic, but thanks anyhow :)

About the second question, there is now way of shipping in a cold climate, is there?

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. acteon

formerly named: G. gigantea
or Goliath Red and Blue

I've kept this species for years now and they are personal favorites (I can never have enough) Back in 1999 one of my matured out at 5", beautiful male but nobody had mature fertile females back then. I now have a few 3 inchers in my personal collection, females are slow growers likle G. pulchra. I'd love to get my hands on more!

Beautiful black wooly with red abdomens!

Attached is a pic of a similar species, Grammastola ijerengi, which has a brighter red colored abdomen and more of an ATTITUDE!

N-Joy
Art

Last edited: