2 foot emperor scorp?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today i was at the pet store and mentioned during conversation with one of the employees that i had an emperor scorpion. He told me that he once saw an emperor scorpion that was 2 feet long (24 inches). The guniess book of world records says that the largest scorpion ever to live was 14 or 17 inches. Is this guy feeding me a load of crap? or does he speak the truth? He also said that the owner cut off its stinger so it was safe to handle.

Mark

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
24" is probably the diameter of the load coming out of that bull.

Cheers,
Dave

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL ok thanks dave, perhaps i will challenge him on that next time im there.

Mark

AmicusLuporum

Arachnopeon
Also, the length he mentioned may not have been complete bull, at least not on purpose. According to my studies in Psychology (and yes, I have studied it at a University level), a lot of people have problems estimating the actual dimensions of some things if the object in question takes up multiple dimensions. It is also true that some people have problems with estimation of dimensions when it is something that they have never seen before. Thus, one logical explanation supporting my theory, is that he has such troubles. Another logical explanation to explain this, is the problems that absolutely everyone has with memories. When you reflect back on your childhood, or even just the previous month or year, can you honestly say that you remember everything that happened, and which of your memories do you honestly feel are 100% accurate. This could explain this tale, or it could simply be garbage or an embellishment.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, the length he mentioned may not have been complete bull, at least not on purpose. According to my studies in Psychology (and yes, I have studied it at a University level), a lot of people have problems estimating the actual dimensions of some things if the object in question takes up multiple dimensions. It is also true that some people have problems with estimation of dimensions when it is something that they have never seen before. Thus, one logical explanation supporting my theory, is that he has such troubles. Another logical explanation to explain this, is the problems that absolutely everyone has with memories. When you reflect back on your childhood, or even just the previous month or year, can you honestly say that you remember everything that happened, and which of your memories do you honestly feel are 100% accurate. This could explain this tale, or it could simply be garbage or an embellishment.
This thread is from 2003. Just putting that out there.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
measuring a heterometrus sp. COMPLETELY stretched out and a really large specimen, you could BS some good numbers.