2.5" G. pulchra M/F? What do you think?

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2.5" G. pulchra that just molted yesterday and I was wondering what you guys think. I almost think that I can see a small translucence flap. I really hope shes a female, I have had her for since she was 3/4" about a year and a half ago. Not a fast grower at all. Anyways what do you think?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say yes because I believe in the first pic specifically I see signs of spermathecae..

Grats and big pics!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a 2.5" G. pulchra that just molted yesterday and I was wondering what you guys think. I almost think that I can see a small translucence flap. I really hope shes a female, I have had her for since she was 3/4" about a year and a half ago. Not a fast grower at all. Anyways what do you think?
It's a male.
.75"-2.5" in 1.5 years is very slow. how often do you feed , and what temps do you keep?
I have had 4 go from 1" to 4"+ in 9 months; three went from .5" to 1.5" in 4 months; two went from .25" to 1" in 2 months.
I feed 1 prey item about 4 times a week and they are kept at 75-80F.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Shes around 3" right now after her last molt yesterday, but that molt pictured was measered at 2.5". I received her on 3/24/09 at about 3/4". She is fed dubias every week or so. She has no problem eating thats for sure.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a male.
Why do you think male Scoolman?

Because of the growth?

I know you've got several pulchras (lucky :) ) but I'm interested as to why you think male. Without having the exuvium in hand the pictures do show what I believe to be a flap indicating female.

Not that I'm right or your wrong but one of is :) so just wondering..

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why do you think male Scoolman?

Because of the growth?

I know you've got several pulchras (lucky :) ) but I'm interested as to why you think male. Without having the exuvium in hand the pictures do show what I believe to be a flap indicating female.

Not that I'm right or your wrong but one of is :) so just wondering..
No problem.
I just don't see a pronounced flap. Mine had a more pronounced flap even at 1.5".
here are a couple shots of my females at about 1.5"
Eclipse number1b 1-26-10 exuvium.jpg
Shadow number3 exuvia 1-21-10.jpg
And here are a couple shots of my males at about 1.5"
Phantom number2 exuvia 1-21-10.jpg
Midnight number4 exuvia.jpg

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Schoolman

Thanks for the pic's and reasoning..

I guess maybe.. I don't know for sure now as if that darkened lateral band across where the furrow would be is "flappish" or more just a crease..

I see your point and the remainder of the pic's, after the first, do seem to agree with your opinion.. Hmm.. I guess it could be but now I guess I can't really state either without knowing or seeing more..

@OP

Do you have the ability to scope this molt? It doesn't have to be much or really special as I've sex my own with a little pocket scope that does, poorly mind you, 60-100x and after they grow it's not like you even need the scope anymore. One indication would be to take a pick of some sort (I use a solitary toothpick) and kinda see if you can catch the edge of the flap and pull it up a bit.. That would indicate more the furrow exists and possibly not fully developed spermathecae but again Schoolman owns G. pulchra and I have never so I would defer to his opinion faster than mine at this point :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats 100% male. no spermathecea from what i see. Even at 1 inch you should be able to see a defined "flap". Great shots though.

Also, note: above where the spermathecea should be you can see a very distinct triangle shape. this is a good indicator of male as well.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Yes, it is a male for sure. You can also note the Epiandrous fusillae, even when the pics are of the dorsal view.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well there ya go..

A clear sign on learning by example and ownership none which I've done, yet, with a pulchra :)

Now with the comments from Schoolman, Cody and Lorum I now see what they do in their descriptions and examples. I retract my initial statement, lol.

To err is human but learning from err is knowledge :p

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It will come with time. and staring at a couple hundred molts.

I have a pretty good vent sexing method as well. while i cannot sex certain species as well as I would like, it just becomes a matter of practice. and lots of double and triple checking yourself.

I became decent at vent sexing by, first vent sexing, in clear tape i would right what i vent sexed it as, put on that particular Ts enclosure and later retrieving a molt to actually see if I was right or wrong. If i was right id note what it was that told me female for that species. and if I was wrong id note what it was that lead me to believe what i did.

when looking at molts, It can be hard. especially the small the specimen. and based on the pictures. I have sexed a spider as male via molt to later see it molted female. this was done because I sexed it to small. I have sexed a few male also because The spermathecea was flattened out, and was small enough I didnt notice. I have now started using a sewing need to try and lift any flap(if there is one), if not I double check by trying to locate the "triangle" as shown above. females will generally be squared instead of triangle.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It will come with time. and staring at a couple hundred molts.

I have a pretty good vent sexing method as well. while i cannot sex certain species as well as I would like, it just becomes a matter of practice. and lots of double and triple checking yourself.

I became decent at vent sexing by, first vent sexing, in clear tape i would right what i vent sexed it as, put on that particular Ts enclosure and later retrieving a molt to actually see if I was right or wrong. If i was right id note what it was that told me female for that species. and if I was wrong id note what it was that lead me to believe what i did.

when looking at molts, It can be hard. especially the small the specimen. and based on the pictures. I have sexed a spider as male via molt to later see it molted female. this was done because I sexed it to small. I have sexed a few male also because The spermathecea was flattened out, and was small enough I didnt notice. I have now started using a sewing need to try and lift any flap(if there is one), if not I double check by trying to locate the "triangle" as shown above. females will generally be squared instead of triangle.
Definitely and I'm getting better but 2D is no where as good as 3D for me at least yet. I'll get there but having a fresh molt in-hand I know what or what not to look for and I've had the pleasure of sexing all mine female less the smallest one an A. brocklehursti.

For me at least the excitement is learning and making that 100% determination and that comes with time as you've said as well looking at many, many molts.

Seeing others opinions and as to why, not simply stating male vs. female, is a great portion of these forums and I wish it was done more. I think many not only wish to find the sex of their T but as the particulars as to why as you all did here with myself and the OP. Seeing the triangular formation does now seem quite glaring once you speak of it so with time, patience and good eyes (something lessening as I get older) it will come and I don't wish to rush it; it's the ride that's important to me not the destination :)

Now time to get me some of those G. pulchra's that everyone seems to have lately as I'm making space for new T's much to the despair of the wife, lol..

Cheers all!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looking for the triangular pattern isnt just from this species. it is with most.You do need good photos to show it well(as with the one above)

You can see the triangle pattern ventrally as well. This is what I look for when vent sexing. this doesnt show up with some species. but thats where practice comes into play.

example. A. this is a 100% confirmed male A. versicolor. (3.5 inches DLS)

note: the blue triangle shape of hairs.

The triangle to me is very defined in this example(which is why i am using it.)

now here is a female versicolor(also 3.5 inches DLS)

note the shape difference. also not not patch of hair.