1st T for a new owner (12 yr old)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'd go with a B. vagans or B. smithi. E. sp red is a wonderful tarantula but finding a sexed female is very difficult and can be pretty expensive. IIRC they grow sloooooow so a sling is probably not what you'd want.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Another vote for B. vagans here. Mine is beautiful though a bit skittish and prone to kicking, but it will be easy to find a sexed female--and affordable!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
E. Sp. red, they are more tolerant than most, they rarely burrow (neither of mine burrow at all, that includes my tiny sling). While they are not huge, they make up for size with character. Now if large is a plus, then I can't think of any big, red tarantula more vibrant than the B. Auratum

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
B. emilia all the way!!!

They're awesome Ts and are a little more unique than your popular B. smithi (not saying there's anything wrong with B smithi either.;))

cold blood

Staff member
Another vote for B. vagans here. Mine is beautiful though a bit skittish and prone to kicking, but it will be easy to find a sexed female--and affordable!
Keep seeing vagans...IME vagans and albiceps are by far the most skittish Brachy species.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Keep seeing vagans...IME vagans and albiceps are by far the most skittish Brachy species.
They are skittish, but I don't think that needs to disqualify them. They're available, attractive, and easy to care for. If OP thinks a skittish species won't be good for this young man, there are other options, but if he can handle it I think it would be great.

If course, if yellow is okay, I'd hop on the G. pulchripes train ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IME, vagans are psychos. skittish and mean as hell. i vote for Euathlus if possible, and a emilia or something like that if not.

cold blood

Staff member
We have had realllllllllllly different experiences with them then.

They can be a bitskittish but a lot of Ts are.
But its a quality that most beginner ts do not have. Its certainly not something I'd want to see a 12 year old have to deal with. If you can get calm one (and you certainly can), why would someone choose skittish for their 12 year old? I know if the kid were my nephew, I wouldn't opt for skittish.

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'll be honest here, and as someone who just turned 14 this month I can speak with some recent experience. ;) I would definitely opt for something calm. I also seriously doubt the guy's gonna reallllly care what color the t is. The simple fact that he has a t would most likely be more than enough for him. (and if he's anything like me he'll get one more... then another... and another... and end up with 31 predatory invertebrates by the time he turns 14)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
But its a quality that most beginner ts do not have. Its certainly not something I'd want to see a 12 year old have to deal with. If you can get calm (and you certainly can), why would someone choose skittish for their 12 year old? I know if the kid were my nephew, I wouldn't opt for skittish.
That's fine. I can see not wanting a kid to have a skittish T.

IME, vagans are psychos. skittish and mean as hell.
This, from my experience, seems kinda over the top but maybe you did have a wild one.