1st Scorpion! Species confirmation/id please?

ThatJaneLady

Arachnopeon
Hello, I was sold this little guy as an African Flat Rock Scorpion. Does this seem correct? He was purchased today from a petstore that specializes in reptiles and fish. He was being kept in a kritter keeper with white sand. He kind of looks like he has white flakey skin on him? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hello, I was sold this little guy as an African Flat Rock Scorpion. Does this seem correct? He was purchased today from a petstore that specializes in reptiles and fish. He was being kept in a kritter keeper with white sand. He kind of looks like he has white flakey skin on him? Should I be concerned?
Looks like the right species. Out of all the Hadogenes species, it looks like Hadogenes troglodytes. Also, don't keep them on sand. They do like (very small amounts) of moisture, so ecoearth or any dirt like that would work a lot better. Can't really see the scorp, but that flakey stuff just looks like sand that was on her. Btw, the care is super simple if you don't akready know. They are called flat rock scorpions because they LOVE to hide between rock crevices with their flat, squishy bodies. Just buy some slat and stack it to where there are a few crevices that it can fit to hide in. I love any and all Hadogenes species, they are great for beginners! Also, a kritter keeper is good for these guys. They can be kept dry, just make sure they have a full water dish at all times. Also, sorry if you already knew this ;) Thought I would share just in case, since you are a beginner in scorps. All the best, hope she does well for you. Beautiful scorp :D

ThatJaneLady

Arachnopeon
I had a little bit of eco earth so I got that in and gave him a misting shower. Thank you for all the info I will work on getting some slatey rocks.

Attachments

Pipa

Arachnoknight
yes ... this species LOVE slate or any rocks that are smooth ... I've got all mine on slates.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Also, just as a warning, most if not all Hadogenes species are VERY slow growing. Just like G. porteri T's, they can go on fasts for months. Mine just ate a cricket after 3 months of fasting (makes me worry to no end! :rofl:) Don't want you worrying like I did when my scorp didn't eat for one month plus ;)